The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 41.)

nsdjoe
Contributor II

Hi everyone,

When I try to send a remote command to a group of iPads to update OS versions on supervised devices, most of the devices fail with the error:

Schedule OS Update - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 41.)

or

Schedule OS Update - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 14.)

I've tried both "Latest version based on device eligibility" and "Specific version," as well as "Download the update for users to install" and "Download and install the update, and restart devices after installation." Nothing seems to work. It's happening on all models of iPad on various versions of iOS/ipadOS. I've checked available drive space, restrictions (none), web filter... I can't figure out what is causing this.

Anyone else having this issue?
~Joe

7 REPLIES 7

pranoy
New Contributor

Same here. We are getting "Schedule OS Update - The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 41.)" error when pushing iOS update on some devices.

LMT
New Contributor II

I got the same message when I attempted to update some iPads to iOS 12.4.5 from 12.4.4.

jonzzo92
New Contributor

Did anyone find a solution to this?

Getting this exact error when trying to update a shared iPad on iPadOS 13.2.3 & 13.3

Have tried different wireless networks. Apple Documentation lists every update error but 41. Thanks 🙂

Initialised
Contributor

I see the same error with both error 20 and error 41

dulban
New Contributor II

I'm getting error 13, "The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 13.)"
on some of our iPads

scrowell
New Contributor

Just got the same thing. My iPads aren't shared. The operation couldn’t be completed. (com.apple.softwareupdateservices.errors error 41.)

RLR
Contributor III

Having this issue also. Why is updating apple products so difficult?

Edit: I think it has something to do with the users that are signed into the iPad. We had the max number of users cached on the ipad and one of them was logged out but it said Sync Pending under the Shared iPad users area on jamf for the device. I force removed the student and the update then went through. So the issue seems to be the Pending Sync or having the max number of users cached on the device.

Would be nice to have a bulk logout users on multiple devices. I can see it's available per device but we have several 100 ipads that will probably need users removing/logging out.

Edit 2: Just found another device that has the maximum number of cached users logged in but no users pending sync and get this error so it seems to be with the iPad having the max number of cached users. Probably something to do with the storage space being divided by all the users and leaving now space for the update to download (even though there is lots of space on the iPad still but it has been allocated to these users).