There was a problem communicating with a push server

itwolf
New Contributor

Hi there,

we're seeing this as result to all commands (i.e. "Renew MDM profile") issued to all of our iPhones. Since they're currently in different locations all over the world a firewall issue is veeery unlikely.

We're on 10.23.0-t1595614145, Push Notification Certificate is renewed (though still Binary?)

Any help is appreciated.

Tino

36 REPLIES 36

LangStefan
New Contributor III

same here

Connection Settings Establish a connection to the Apple Push Notification service.
Protocol Apple will no longer support the binary APNs protocol. For more information, see the Supporting Apple Push Notification Service Over HTTP/2 Knowledge Base article.
Binary

edit: it works at least in one environment now. seems to be very slow everything in the moment

akaden
New Contributor II

Same Problem here. I talked with Jamf Support moment ago. there is a problem with communicating between APNS and Jamf Cloud instances in EU Region.

Edit: the answer I got via mail: It looks like we do have an ongoing issues with APN's only on cloud instances not for on-prem.

djquazzi
New Contributor II

Same here. (In South Africa)

RobertPetrie
New Contributor II

We were experiencing issues enrolling devices through DEP, manual enrolments and config profiles not deploying too so issues with APN's makes sense. We're in the EU region. I've successfully enrolled one Mac now so hopefully it's getting fixed now.

simon_brooke
New Contributor III

UK also, very slow, but some commands are getting through

Anonymous
Not applicable

We're having the same issue - none of our devices are updating in the inventory... reset iPads aren't getting their Pre Enrollment either

Calumn
New Contributor

Still having the same issue (UK) here too.
Edit: Saturday 22/8 9:00 GMT - We're getting traffic now, config profiles are getting pushed OK.

RobertPetrie
New Contributor II

Is anyone else seeing this with manual enrolments at the moment? We can install the CA certificate, then install the MDM profile and then nothing happens after that. No configuration profiles, no Jamf binary and no self service app.

LangStefan
New Contributor III

@RobertPetrie we see exactly the same behaviour.
edit: working now for us

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Hi,
still experiencing issues with profiles not being pushed...
At least in Austria it seems to be stuck since Friday last week.
New DEP installed devices do not get most of the profiles we push.
Edit: we are on On-Prem v10.23 and use already the HTTP/2 (443) setting for connection. When testing I get an error.

akaden
New Contributor II

eu-central-1 APNS
New incident: Investigating
We are observing higher APNS traffic volumes and intermittent failures for customers located in eu-central-1. We are investigating the issue.
https://status.jamf.com/incidents/2mdstr7s0px0

runner780
New Contributor

Same here aswell, been happening for the past couple of days. What is going on and better, what can we do to let it function normal again. We cannot work around this

laurie_martini
New Contributor

Same problem here (USA - Florida)

jschlimmer
New Contributor III

Same problem for me, East US

LuNeicia
New Contributor II

Same problem here in Texas. We noticed a syncing issue last week and it is ongoing. We are on-prem.

atabique
New Contributor

Same here...in California

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

I don't know if it's related, but I am trying to renew the ABM server token for our on-prem JSS and if I try to upload it says "the file received was not valid". The Automated Device Enrollment page in JSS says "Information out of date. Awaiting next sync"
Test with TwoCanoes "Push Disgnostic" seems fine (APNs tests completed with 63 passed and 0 failed)

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@carlo.anselmi (and everyone else posting on this issue) What version of the JSS are you running?

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@sdagley sorry forgot to mention it's JSS 10.17.1-t1574185757 on prem

dunnyb
New Contributor

Hello, having this same issue in US East

Running 10.23.0-t1595614145, and we just renewed our Push Notification Certificate earlier this summer

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Since this issue is being reported across multiple versions, and impacts both on-prem and AWS/Jamf Cloud hosted instances, it'd seem like this is an Apple issue. Not that https://developer.apple.com/system-status/ has any indication things aren't working.

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

Hello from Austria :)
still experiencing the issue here.
We use on-prem JSS 10.23.0-t1595614145

ThijsX
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Just checking in; anyone else experiencing profiles being installed due ADE/PreStage enrollment are looping and taking ages?

patrick030
New Contributor III

@txhaflaire yes we have the same issue...what we already found out is that when you "cancel all" pending and failed commands the loop is solved and device continues to "time zone" selection.

Surajit
New Contributor III

@txhaflaire & @patrick030 Yes, we are facing the same issue. DEP enrollments are stuck on a loop, in our case directory binding is failing & after almost 10 minutes, the Computer hangs. We did a force reboot & again it gets in the same loop. When I check the computer record on Jamf, I see an Unmanaged entry & multiple failed commands for Directory Binding. Informed Jamf Support, waiting for their reply.

patrick030
New Contributor III

@Surajit when you are in the loop try to cancel the failed and pending commands (see attached screenshot) this is at the moment the workaround to "solve" the issue.
489e358b45d44b5aaf60391e23242f17

Surajit
New Contributor III

Thank you @patrick030 I tried cancelling the failed and pending commands, unfortunately that didn't work for us.
I had to disabled the Directory Binding payload from pre-stage & it started working last week. (as recommended by Jamf support on our case)
Today we are facing the problem again, though the AD binding is disabled.
Error message is: Push failed. Values for APN Token and Push Magic cannot be blank.

Is there anyone else facing this ?

I saw another thread: https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/36570/push-failed-values-for-apn-token-and-push-magic-cannot-be-blank
ed2b1f78c5bf460697cf2bff1de99cac

trabalx
New Contributor

I have also cancelled pending commands but after that faced not encrypted device issue so i am not able to see recovery key in jamf pro if someone forgets to password not able to reset it.

jason_watts
New Contributor

Still having the same issues as everyone else. Push notifications are not getting through to devices. Some do but but others do not. Apps are stuck in the 'pending' status and will not load. Hope this gets fixed soon.

Has anyone be able to get a hold of someone from Support with some real answers?

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

@jason.watts we were informed that (at least our profile push problem) is an issue with the current JSS on prem (10.23) we use.
And it is apparently resolved in 10.24. But since it is still in beta we did not install it on our prod environment.
I am not sure if this resolves the prestage problems too or if they are based on the same issue. We use no profiles for our prestage enrollments.
BR Thomas

patrick030
New Contributor III

Hi everyone,

i get this information back from jamf: "I'm really sorry for the problems you've been experiencing and the manual work you've had to put in to make the workaround possible. At the moment however, there is no estimation yet concerning this PI and when it will be fixed. I'm afraid the only temporary solution is the workaround. I understand this is far from ideal. Again, my apologies for the inconvenience caused by this."

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

Just spoke to Jamf support who said this is not fixed in 10.24, but will be in 10.25. This is killing the setup of 2500 new devices and makes me question what we are continuing to pay for. If this is true, then its solely a Jamf issue and for them to wait on this and not issue a hot fix is truly disappointing since this most likely affects any new enrollment with DEP.

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

sajancar2go
New Contributor

Jamf is premium product, and the price that we pay for per device is not justified with the various issues we are experiencing. Everything from inventory updates, APNS errors, etc. I think the quality of the product has drastically decreased with last 1 version of release (10.23.xx). Now it looks like Jamf is only focused on the IPO and the listing and the stock markets. Product quality/fixing errors is no more a priority.

rhyde
New Contributor II

Squeezing the change in the last minute on us
7a6221e5293b45afb44fa308e537fe3a

carlo_anselmi
Contributor III

@gshackney therefore 10.24.1 does not fix this issue?

GabeShack
Valued Contributor III

From what I’m told it’s not fixed until 10.25. Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools

Gabe Shackney
Princeton Public Schools