three hyphens deleting apps ....is this possible?

denice_clapper
Contributor

We were told students use three hyphens on the ipads to delete apps...is this possible? How can we block this?

11 REPLIES 11

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

a little bit more detail please... is this mac os, ios?, are they standard local users?

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

denice_clapper
Contributor

sorry...this is on ipads,

Hugonaut
Valued Contributor II

well the kids are pulling somebodies leg thats for sure...

Virtual MacAdmins Monthly Meetup - First Friday, Every Month

MattAebly
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Denice,

Are students holding down on the app icon and then the app starts to shake and there is a minus sign they can tap on to delete the app?

denice_clapper
Contributor

this is what I am being told....but I am not finding any info about it...has anyone ever heard of this???

sshort
Valued Contributor

This smells like a student prank, but I'm interpreting your description to mean:

• a restriction profile is in place to prevent the removal of apps
  • a user is long pressing the app until it shakes, then triple tapping it until the app removal confirmation pop-up appears

If that's actually happening I'd be curious which version of iOS is on the iPad, and if it's and older version, does the problem go away in iOS 12.2.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

This is not possible, but if so I don't want to find out what four hyphens does.

denice_clapper
Contributor

Ok after doing some more research here's what's happening...the students are saying into the ipad hyphen 3 times and it wipes the apps...I understand it works on the iphone as well.

tyrone_luedtke
New Contributor
New Contributor

From what I've seen it just kills the app and does not delete it. I could not get it to happen on iOS 12.2, only iOS 12.1.2. That said, my experience could be different then yours. https://usa.kaspersky.com/blog/iphone-hyphen/17217/

thejenbot
Contributor III

this is so confusing.

the first commenter was a little over the top, though - you did clearly state iPads, and he was asking if it was for macOS or iOS. overkill, but i understand his desire for more detailed info. @denice.clapper your following up, after more research, has me picturing kids verbally 'saying into the iPad' (maybe using Siri?) "hyphen 3 times," and all of their apps being deleted. i can't imagine that possibility.

please understand that we all want to help, but it would behoove you to be clear in what you're asking and to give information that helps us understand your environment. i typically do as much research on the front end as possible, because more information is better than not enough. this has helped me get answers in a more timely fashion and has saved time in the back and forth. i sincerely hope this constructive feedback is well received as this is a great community that really does work when everyone works together :)

denice_clapper
Contributor

Yes sorry ...I understand what you are saying, I use this resource often