Time Rollback

Vigeland
New Contributor

I have students that are changing the times on their iPads. I'm finding out that some of them are doing it in order to install something called GBA4iOS, which is a Gameboy emulator. Wondering if there is a way to detect if/when kids rollback the time in order to install "stuff" like this?

Thanks,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Erik,

the MBS-HelloApp-Provision is a provisioning profile and not a configuration profile. If you use the Provisioning Profile search criteria you'll be able to find it.

Cheers,
Chris.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Erik,

no idea how to detect time rollback (our students do it to inflate their scores in some timed online games) but I have a smart group for undesirable profiles (like GBA4iOS and VPN profiles) and use the inbuilt emailing system (when it works) to tackle those students.

With v9.x and the ability to exclude groups from certain scopes I will also be escalating some of those groups to limit / restrict their devices further.

Cheers,
Chris.

Vigeland
New Contributor

I've also noticed that when they load GBA4iOS, it puts a profile called MBS-HelloApp-Provision into Profiles, but when I search for it, it won't show up in the search. Any ideas there?

lhscasper
Contributor

Hi Erik,

the MBS-HelloApp-Provision is a provisioning profile and not a configuration profile. If you use the Provisioning Profile search criteria you'll be able to find it.

Cheers,
Chris.

Vigeland
New Contributor

Right you are! Thanks!!!!

CCHS
New Contributor

Is there a way to block this from happening? What setting in the Apple Configurator OR JAMF can I use?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Q - Could security holes could be opened up with these provisioning profiles for the games? How about by the changing of the time?

I'm just wondering if I need to make a similar effort in my environment, as I don't understand exactly why the profiles are undesirable.

thanks in advance,

chris

p.s. the 'inbuilt emailing system' was mentioned - is this done by manually sending an email as an Action to a group?

[update]
I came across this.. https://discussions.apple.com/message/22880292#22880292

CCHS
New Contributor

I would love it if there was a way to block "settings" all together. I find lots of students in there poking around.