Transitioning from Profile Manager to Casper Suite

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

We're about ready to start getting our Macs onto our new Casper Suite setup, but we seem to have run into a bit of an issue - on Macs that are enrolled in our old Profile Manager setup, the QuickAdd package installation fails. I discovered that I can get it to succeed if I remove all the profiles currently installed on the Mac, but is there not a way to have QuickAdd do this automatically for me?

JSS / Recon / QuickAdd versions are all 9.82.

3 REPLIES 3

gburgess
New Contributor III

I'm not sure if this helps...things may have changed since I did this years ago. When profile manager had first come out, I had played around with it and iPads. I remember correctly, a device can only be managed with one MDM at a time. So if you have management items from another MDM, you'll get a kickback telling you it can't manage it.

Are you able to un-manage the devices first on your old profile manager server to get rid of all of the profiles and then recon in the device?

DanJ_LRSFC
Contributor III

I've done a bit more research in to this, and there seems to be a command /usr/bin/profiles which may be able to remove profiles using a -D switch. I just thought it might be something that QuickAdd would have the option to do automatically.

davidacland
Honored Contributor II
Honored Contributor II

Yep, we've had this before. profiles -D before running the QuickAdd.pkg is the way to go.

You can bundle it into a payload free package and send it out first.

When I hit this issue, I sent out the profiles -D command as root with ARD, then the QuickAdd.