Triggering a Policy/Script bases on X amount of days

glennu
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Hello Everyone!

I did some digging around the Nation (as the cool kids call it) and tried to see if I could find what I was looking for but haven't seen it yet so I thought I would ask. I have also opened a ticket w/support, but I figured it would be good to see how y'all approach it.

I like many of you am battling with software updates. I currently trigger one of those more discreet user interaction notification banners in the top right of the screen whenever an update is available and a machine checks in with an OS under the specified requirements. This actually works fairly well-although like anything else there is room for improvement.

I'm trying to leverage JAMF Helper to push some larger time out notifications to anyone who has been out of date for more than 5 days, so ideally I'd like a smart group that is something like "has been member of 'Software Update Available' group for >5 days" however this doesn't seem to be a thing which you can make.

I took a peek in extension attributes to see if there was anything about time and being out of date or something like that but didn't see anything either. So I'm thinking this might be a script which I scope to anyone out of date which would check how many times the banner policy has run on a machine and if its >5 then display the larger update message.

What do you all think, how would you do this? Thanks in advance for your input!

4 REPLIES 4

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@glennu Take a look at https://github.com/macadmins/nudge, the Wiki for it (https://github.com/macadmins/nudge/wiki) has a section on using with Jamf Pro

glennu

I was waiting for someone to say Nudge! I think I've used it once in the past and I bet it may very well be able to do just what I'm asking, so I will certainly revisit it as I know a bunch of people love it and swear by it so thanks for bringing it up!

I was curious if by chance the ability existed within JAMF already, although I'm thinking it might not.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

Nothing directly built in to Jamf Pro. The link I posted was for the Nudge app which only works of macOS 11 and later, and is specifically for macOS updates/upgrades, so hopefully that's your target audience (there is an older Python script version for older macOS version, but having never used it I can't really speak to its usefulness)

glennu

Yep that's my audience! I've used Nudge once before but switched over to the more discreet user interactive notifications in policies; which is pretty good but of course I've got some stragglers. Might need to revisit Nudge again, thanks!