Trouble enrolling a DEP enabled computer into Jamf

doekman
New Contributor III

I have a computer that is already in use, which just won't register correctly in Jamf. It's registered in DEP and assigned to Jamf Pro. In Jamf Pro, the serial number doesn't show up in device search. When I trigger the re-enrollement with the user ("sudo profiles renew -type enrollment") the enrollment-flow starts as expected.

However, at the end it stops with an error message "Install profile failed
Your computer is already enrolled in an MDM server and can only be enrolled in one MDM server at a time". In Jamf the serial number now shows up as "DEP - [SERIAL_NO]". The username in Jamf pro is not populated (though it was collected in the flow).

Also, the `jamf` binary is not installed.

In the user's System Settings, only 3 profiles are listed. They have names I don't recognize, but I can't remove them. However, it is stated that "This mac is supervised and managed by: Archipunt", so it might be old profiles from our MDM (the computer is bought in 2020, and we were using Jamf Pro before that year).

I've tried removing the computer from Jamf, and re-enrolling the machine again, but the result is the same.

What can I do, other than wipe the computer?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

garybidwell
Contributor III

I'm afraid you've answered your own question.
The key to this is "This mac is supervised and managed by: Archipunt", which means it has had a previous MDM profile applied to it, but hasn't had a MDM "un-manage" command sent to it before its migration from one MDM to another to correctly release it.
As it would most likely had this MDM profile applied as "non-removable" (hence the message) then only way to this remove this is with a complete wipe.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

garybidwell
Contributor III

I'm afraid you've answered your own question.
The key to this is "This mac is supervised and managed by: Archipunt", which means it has had a previous MDM profile applied to it, but hasn't had a MDM "un-manage" command sent to it before its migration from one MDM to another to correctly release it.
As it would most likely had this MDM profile applied as "non-removable" (hence the message) then only way to this remove this is with a complete wipe.

doekman
New Contributor III

The origin of the MDM profile will stay a mystery, but the problem is solved. Thanks!

lmrosbro
New Contributor III

I am currently running into now. Only I have completely wiped the machine and it still will not enroll.