Trouble Imaging 25+ iMacs with MacMini as NetBoot Server

rcross51
New Contributor II

Hello,
I'm new to JAMF Server imaging setup so please forgive me if my question is too basic or is a duplicate.
We currently have 1 main JSS in a central site with 3 Mac Minis set up as NetInstall and File Share Distribution Points on 3 different subnets/sites.
I cannot netboot more than 10 clients at a time for imaging.
The 10 I do image work just fine.

I have seen older articles/discussions about having to modify rc.netboot settings to allow more than 10 clients to netboot? Does anyone know if this is required with new setups?

Specs:
2016 Mac Minis 500GB Hard Drive, 16 GB RAM, OS X 10.11.5, Server App 5.1.5
JSS 9.82, Netinstall image: 10.11.3 AutoCasper NBI, File Share is AFP
100mb Minimum Ethernet to Server

Any suggestions or pointing to a relevant article would be greatly appreciated.

Richard Cross Henderson County Public Schools
Casper/JSS Admin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

rcross51
New Contributor II

Update: So I just had to put my Mac Mini Ethernet connection into a GB port on the switch in the server room and my Network Engineer configured the switchport. Problem solved, was able to netboot 25 iMacs and image from DP file share.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Sachin_Parmar
Contributor

Hi @rcross51 , i think the article you're looking for can be found here

Alternatively have you tried making your NBI image using AutoCasperNBI as it includes the modified rc.netboot file in the NBI image, link for that here

rcross51
New Contributor II

Sachin, thanks for the reply.
Yes, I used AutoDmg and AutoCasper NBI to create the Boot Image.
I have read the article you linked to, but it is quite old and discusses older iOS's and older Servers, which is why I am hesitant to try what that article suggests.
I guess I am asking if there might be some other cause to the limiting of the number of simultaneous NetBoot clients.

rcross51
New Contributor II

Update: So I just had to put my Mac Mini Ethernet connection into a GB port on the switch in the server room and my Network Engineer configured the switchport. Problem solved, was able to netboot 25 iMacs and image from DP file share.

dannyd
New Contributor

Also check out one to one imaging using SSD drive. We find it faster than netboot.