Turn on ipad wifi in jamf

rotorstudios
New Contributor

Hi,
We have ipads that have both wifi and data and due to security issues,
we've disabled or turned off wifi on them manually and sent them out. Now
we want to turn on wifi ; is it possible to do this remotely via jamf
without telling the ipad users how to turn on wifi?
Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

aminer
New Contributor II

That might be difficult to send a command to turn on the wifi when the iPad isn't connected to the network.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

There aren't any quick action commands to turn it back on, but you could scope a profile with a wifi network payload in it, that may turn it back on. I assume with these having LTE that they aren't under the same roof i.e. WFH end users?

mschroder
Valued Contributor

I think you only have two choices:
- tell the users how to turn of wifi manually
- if possible: tell users to connect the iPad to a Mac (assuming they have one AND paring is allowed) and tell the users to share the network

I think the first one is the easiest.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@aminer @mschroder The OP mentions data which is assumed to be LTE so the device will already have a pathway to the internet to receive MDM commands and profiles.

rotorstudios
New Contributor

Sorry, I forgot to mention. These ipads have cellular data (sim cards); so they have network access. Is there no way to turn on the wifi remotely?

Also, all these ipads are running in single app mode, so we want to ideally avoid taking it out of single app mode remotely for security reasons.

Thanks

If you have a current config profile with the restrictions payload scoped to your devices there is an option to force the wifi power to on. That's your best and pretty much only option.

I did test this with an iPad  connected to ethernet with the slider switched to off and made that change.