TV.app on Dock

Wakko
Contributor II

So I was having a hard time removing TV.app from the dock. Now before we start I know I could've used dockutil (which I've used in the past before) to make my life easier. However I didn't want to push any more 3rd apps unless I really needed to. I decided to use the built-in tools JAMF has to keep our deployment lean. I read a lot of post and found nothing relating to the TV.app itself.

Some Applications are found in /Applications (Music, Numbers) while other like TV.app is found in /System/Applications (Launchpad, Photos). So I kept on trying /System/Applications/TV.app and nothing happen, it didn't remove itself. I tried every thing I can think of and nada, it was putting up a hell of a fight. So I decide to dig into the app itself. I finally came across something interesting. If you open up this file: /System/Applications/TV.app/Contents/version.plist
You will find:
<string>TVDesktop</string>.

Now I haven't seen any mention of this any where before. I was like hmmmmmm let me try it, what do I have to lose. Besides the fact that I was running low on coffee and snacks. So I update the Dock Item to file://~/System/Applications/TVDesktop.app
What do you know, that pesky app finally gave up and disappeared from the Dock. I tell ya it put up a hell of a fight. I was about to give in and use dockutil but I held on strong. So if anyone is having an issue removing an item, dig into the version.plist and see if it has another name you can use and test.

I hope that this helps out anyone else running into a Dock items that doesn't want to be removed.

~L0$

11 REPLIES 11

DouglasWard-IA
New Contributor III

Hi @Wakko , wow how I wish that worked. I am fighting this same fight. But try as I might, I can't get Apple TV removed from a default dock, even using your tips. This is macOS Big Sur 11.5.1.

I just N&P (Nuked & Paved) machine with a fresh install of macOS 11.5.1 this afternoon. Was recording the enrollment process to share with the team. It removed the TV app from the dock as expected. These are the setting I have and it worked as expected. LMK how I can help out.

~L0$

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.13.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.09.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-08-03 at 3.10.50 PM.png

syed_hyder
New Contributor II

Thank you @Wakko .. this was really helpful. 

Glad to help.

dmcnicholas1
New Contributor II

@Wakko , This was perfect. Just a note, I did not think it mattered, but it did not work for me until I named the Dock Item "TV". 

@dmcnicholas1 hmmm I just ran it against macOS 12.Cinco and it worked just fine removing it. What I have noticed is that if a script doesn't finishing installing something that is needed on the dock. When it tries to re-render the dock it fails. Hopefully this helps. LMK. Glad to help!

Same goes for me - I just renamed it to TV and it worked like a charm (macOS 13.0.1)

bcameron
New Contributor III

I've tried all of these tips and none seem to work. 

syed_hyder
New Contributor II
Hello,

Please try the attached setting.

Regards,
Syed Hyder
End-User Computing

Wakko
Contributor II

@bcameron 

I'm currently using this on both macOS Big and macOS Monterey. I can confirm that is works on 11.7 & 12.6. I'm attaching dos screenshots for your reference. Hopefully this will help you out with your deployments. If they still don't work, then I agree with @syed_hyder in requesting screens for us to review as well.

~L0$

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.31.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-09-25 at 5.32.45 PM.png

Valcovish
New Contributor

Thank you!!