tvOS 13 - Conference Room Display, Arcade, Volume Issue

rcardoza
New Contributor II

I'm having three issues managing our Apple TVs with JAMF 10.15 and tvOS 13.

1. The Conference Room Display payload is no longer blocking the App visibility. When this payload is deployed, the apps that are installed can be accessed, but the AirPlay window remains overlaid on the bottom right hand corner.

2. I can't find a way to hide the Apple Arcade app. The bundle ID is not available in the "restrict app usage" section of the restrictions payload. (Update: bundle ID: com.apple.Arcade Thanks @Brian)

3. We are experiencing an issue with the sound jumping to 100% when an AirPlay connection established from a laptop. This was not fixed with 13.2.

18 REPLIES 18

brian
New Contributor II

On an Apple TV 4th gen the bundle ID for the Arcade app is com.apple.Arcade.

I was able to block this on my supervised Apple TV here using the restrictions.

rcardoza
New Contributor II

Thank you, Brian! I was perplexed that Arcade did not autopopulate in the app list. I attached a recording to illustrate how it worked for me.

RDowson
New Contributor III

Do you have access to AppleSeed or an Apple Developer Account?
I would test the latest tvOS beta if you can. You may find that your first issue is no longer an issue.

jlarkin
New Contributor

Any luck with the Conference mode issue? We are experiencing the same problem.

milochm
New Contributor II

Apple has confirmed this is a bug in TvOS 13. TvOS 13.2 is supposed to address this issue, but I was able to reproduce the issue while on the Beta.

khowe
New Contributor II

@milochm Do you have a bug or radar ID that I can reference?

RDowson
New Contributor III

The latest beta has introduced another issue. The restriction to prevent the Apple TV from sleeping now doesn't appear to be working. Can anyone else reproduce this?

fsjjeff
Contributor II

A me too on the Conference Mode issue - even worse is that the Movie previews start playing, which is a nightmare for us... All our lovely K-7 students getting to see previews of Halloween horror movies thanks to Apple. Well done :}

nstrauss
Contributor II

@RDowson I'm running 13.2 17K5078a and have a profile that's preventing sleep. Setting is grayed out and it appears to be working.

jcline
New Contributor III

We have this issue and apple says it is a known issue in tvos. They had us try the beta and it worked for a day or so then went back to not working again.

fsjjeff
Contributor II

Was busy with other projects today but see 13.2 dropped this afternoon. Anyone get a chance to see if these issues are resolved?

rcardoza
New Contributor II

@fsjjeff I updated to 13.2 yesterday. Doesn't seem to fix things. If I double tap the home button on the remote, the App-switching view displays behind the AirPlay window overlay.

We are also experiencing an issue with the sound jumping to 100% when an AirPlay connection established from a laptop. This was also not fixed with 13.2.

bananapatata
New Contributor III

@fsjjeff @rcardoza Updated to 13.2. We too are still experiencing both issues as well:
1) home screen visible in conference display mode 2) sound jumping to 100% anytime a new video is played

aporter
New Contributor II

I too can confirm that the 13.2 update has not fixed the Conference Display issue. The TV will show the Conference Display Message but still shows the Apps behind that. It is also seems like it is not possible to put the TV to sleep when in Conference Display mode.

bananapatata
New Contributor III

Band-aid to issue #1 (Conference Room Display Mode) for tvOS 13.2:
From the Apple TV menu:
Set Sleep > Never and Screen Saver > Never
Turn Conference Room Display > On and select a wallpaper

Then from Jamf you can deploy Conference Room Display. It still does not address the volume issue but should prevent apps from displaying. You can also then set home screens to match if you use an iCloud account and then move the settings icon into first position (or at least move AppleTV+ out of first position). Lastly, you cannot apply these settings from tvOS 12, update, and then have it working — the update to tvOS 13 removes these settings.

evacchio
New Contributor II

As of 1-6-2020, the latest public release version of tvOS (13.3) does not fix this problem. I also hit on the idea of putting the Settings app in the first spot on the home screen, but after I did so school-wide I still had ads showing up on random Apple TV's, so the result was inconsistent/not useful. What I finally did was install a Configuration Profile on all our Apple TV's that had a Restrictions payload restricting the apps to ONLY the Settings app. That is the only thing that has definitively stopped the problem. My teachers now have no Apple TV apps, and I'll have to enable them on a case-by-case basis if they need any. But at least we now have no inappropriate or highly distracting ads interfering with our students' learning. Apple needs to fix this.

fsjjeff
Contributor II

I've also started restricting apps to only the Settings app, and applying Conference mode... Feedback the past couple weeks (mind you, education so a couple weeks of vacation there) has been promising.

jimmyryan
New Contributor

Just adding my name to the list of users who have the volume jumping to 100% on AirPlay when a Mac connects to the Apple TV. Have seen the issue on multiple Apple TV 4K units. Running tvOS 13.4.6.