Unable to add Virtual Machine to Configuration Profile?

gm7cadd9
New Contributor III

I've been playing around with some VM's, I can enroll them to the JSS just fine. I can even scope policies to include the VM, but if I go to create a Configuration Profile and go to target it to the specific VM, it does not show in the list (even though it shows up in the list when creating a policy) Is this a bug, or is this unsupported?

I know in a VM it will take the same serial number as the host, so I am wondering if that is part of the issue.

JSS v9.3 hosted on Windows Server 2008 r2

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

gm7cadd9
New Contributor III

The VM in question was 10.10, I just built a 10.9 VM and am able to add the VM to Configuration Profiles just fine. I suspect this is because my version of the JSS isn't fully compatible with 10.10.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

gm7cadd9
New Contributor III

The VM in question was 10.10, I just built a 10.9 VM and am able to add the VM to Configuration Profiles just fine. I suspect this is because my version of the JSS isn't fully compatible with 10.10.

chriscollins
Valued Contributor

@gm7cadd9

Where I tend to see this actually is when at least VMWare would create VMs with a virtual serial number that was longer than 12 characters but that doesn't work right with MDM so if you look in the inventory record for the 10.10 VM it says it's not MDM capable so it doesn't show up. VMware has a way to set it to generate a 1/ character serial number. And fusion 7 seems to do it automatically. Not sure how parallels does it. You might want to check that.

But you definitely want to be at 9.6 at least for Yosemite.