Unable to configure Macs with DEP

Tigerhaven
Contributor

62e1dd0d32ec42ffb1fb3e790e1d3cff

43c63758abdb4cce80c6ac4431d3181e Hi everyone, has anyone seen this before or are seeing this while using DEP enrollment. Appreciate any input on this.

Kunal V
14 REPLIES 14

hcodfrie
Contributor

Are you using a SCEP configprofile?

Tigerhaven
Contributor

@hcodfrie yes we are but that's not getting deployed as prestage enrollment process.

Kunal V

hcodfrie
Contributor

You can also launch Console with keyboard shortcuts CTL OPTION CMD + C . One reason you might want to do this is troubleshooting by monitoring the logs for the mdmclient process as you attempt to enroll the machine through DEP, tailing the Jamf log etc etc.

You could also enable debug logging in JAMF PRO, I had to deal with this 2 weeks ago and this what helped me.

zinkotheclown
Contributor II

I'm seeing this on new Macs with Catalina installed.

zinkotheclown
Contributor II

Do you have an Ethernet dongle attached when enrolling on 10.15.0?

Through trial and error, I think I discovered the cause.

I am using a USB-C Ethernet dongle when enrolling a MacBook. I am speculating that the Mac could not pull down the activation record due to the MAC address being polled was that of the dongle’s.

If I enroll the MacBook minus any Ethernet dongle and strictly with Wi-Fi, I am able to get the Mac to pull down its activation record.

dmichels
Contributor II

Make sure in your PreStage Enrollments that you have NO Certificates.

lastoch
New Contributor

Here is the csv file from apple showing the macbooks as iMacs as well as a screenshot of the DEP tab in JAMF.
fa6d5828440b4aaa8726190d24a5152e

Achilles
New Contributor II

We are seeing the same issues? MBA's showing up as iMacs and the remote management either not showing up and or error out. But it seems to be mostly MBA's? Other models seem to be working fine. Fix for use is to wipe and nuke the drive and reinstall Catalina from recovery drive. Sometimes go into ABM find machine and re-enroll in ABM then reselect in Pre-Stage. The team here is working on it i'm just along for the ride..

bluevoyantadmin
New Contributor

We are having this issue as well any fixes?

Andrew_R
New Contributor III

We are seeing this exact same issue on new 2020 MacBook Air models. I have a support call open with both Apple and Jamf, but we haven't gotten anywhere yet. I'll update when and if we resolve it.

We are currently letting the initial enrolment fail, and then wipe/reinstall macOS and try again. Usually this works, but the odd Mac needs to try a third time.

T3Helpdesk
New Contributor

We also started experiencing this issue earlier this week on MacBook Pros, on both brand new out of the box and one that was previously enrolled and had come back from repair. Had to resort to wipe/reinstall as well.

miodog
New Contributor

I just had a new MacBook Pro error on DEP with the same error message. Emailed Apple rep. These particular MacBooks are part of a new lease program, and we had issues getting them enrolled into DEP to start. Resetting the Mac to fix the issue.
4bbeded261ba46a0bd8558121a98c216

TG617
New Contributor

Is that the only fix to this? I just had this happen with two brand new 16" MBP. I wiped/reinstalled Catalina and it worked fine after that.

Problem with this is we typically have them drop shipped from a reseller who preps them (runs through DEP setup). If they run into this issue they will definitely not wipe/reinstall every MBP to get DEP working.

user-TQBbiKviDD
New Contributor II

Hi guys, how are you. I am experimenting the exact same issue here. After start the mac, give me this error and cannot get the device enrolled by PreStaged mode.
Any of you got a solution for this trouble?