Unable to Create Invitation

Asnyder
Contributor III

I'm getting the fun "unable to create invitation" message. I checked my permissions and they are all checked. I've never had an issue with this before. Originally this was happening with JSS 10.3.1 and Casper imaging 9.100. I upgraded the netboot to use jamf imaging 10.3.1 (or whatever the latest is) and I'm still having the issue. I've looked at 4-5 other posts for solutions but none of them have worked for me.

EDIT: After looking at This I guess I'm not the only one. How am I supposed to image older machines? Get your act together. A lot of people pay you a lot of money and lately, all I see is one thing being fixed and 5 more breaking.

14 REPLIES 14

jphillips
Release Candidate Programs Tester

The work around we have been using is:
1. Holding Option, launch Imaging app.
2. Input address of Jamf server.
3. Use Administrator credentials (we use AD accounts, but they don't work with this bug).

This at least lets us netboot/image.

Asnyder
Contributor III

I've tried that. I've tried creating new accounts with 4 letter passwords and that won't work either.

thomas_moser
New Contributor III

It worked for us.
Local account with admin rights and 4 letter pw got it done. Jamf Pro 10.3.1

Other threads with the same issue:
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/8133/anyone-seen-unable-to-create-an-invitation
https://www.jamf.com/jamf-nation/discussions/15515/casper-imaging-error-unable-to-create-the-invitation

jkaigler
Contributor II

We are 10.4, but this issue for us started last week while we were on 9.97. I have tried creating a standard user with rights to image and simple password but still get the "create invitation" error. My LDAP account with admin privileges does not get the error.

jkaigler
Contributor II

One more thing, we can image by using "Show Custom" and manually selecting items instead selecting a configuration

wesleya
Contributor

We ran into this too with the upgrade to 10.3.1.

Anyway, I would check that you have Invitation as well as Imaging privileges on your imaging account. One other thing we have run into recently is we have had issues with computers not enrolling after imaging. It looks like this might be because we are selecting a site prior to imaging. We have had better luck selecting "All Sites" which sets the site to "None".

Working with Jamf on that one, so we'll see where we go from here.

jkaigler
Contributor II

@wesleya Thanks! Setting the Invitation privs worked. Not sure why it worked in the past, but all is good now.

sdiver
New Contributor III

So even running Jamf Pro 10.4.1, and updating Jamf Imaging to 10.4.1 on our Netboot images, we were/are running into this issue. Although, it is not account or privileges related. It doesn't seem to matter what kind of account you are using...Local, LDAP, Administrator, non-Administrator...it will fail

It appears that if a computer has saved Autorun Data, Jamf Imaging is choking on it, and throws up the "Unable to create an invitation. Check to make sure you have permissions to create an invitation." error. As soon as we deleted the Autorun Data on these computers, Jamf Imaging proceeded without issue.

swiftitdesk
New Contributor

Same issue here on 10.4.1

glopez1
New Contributor II

Same issue on 10.4.1, is intermittent and only two of our technicians are affected. If you look at the jamf logs, their authentication is successful (LDAP lookup) to even get into JAMF Imaging, and then when they kick off the imaging process it has an 'auth' failure to the rest API using the same creds. We have SSO enabled. The user's sso password is the same as their ldap password so there should be no issue. They are also not locked out of their SSO at the time this happens. Could there be an issue with having ldap + sso enabled?

g2oIT
New Contributor II

Seems to be something with the configurations. If we try to use a preset configuration on 10.4.1, it will not go, but will if we select packages individually (not ideal since there are a lot that need selected).

el2493
Contributor III

I'm on 10.3.1, was running into this issue because we use LDAP credentials for login to JSS. I was able to get it to work by creating a Standard JSS Account with a simple password (uppercase, lowercase, numbers, but no special characters). It was annoying trying to figure out the issue because I could login to Jamf Imaging fine, but got the invite error message (and then multiple times my LDAP account would lockout). Not a great solution, but thanks to the people before me who figured it out.

danadonaldson
New Contributor

Just had this happen on 10.5.0. Been testing a new image all afternoon and this happened, out of the blue. I'm an admin in Jamf, so I have the correct privileges. I removed the asset from Jamf Pro...and I'm still getting this message. So, the removal of Autorun data is no longer possible through Jamf.
I'm not sure if I feel it should be needed to create a new user every time Jamf has permissions issues...this has happened to me before. I guess I'll go make another account. Hopefully that works. It didn't work.

el2493
Contributor III

Do you just login to Jamf using a Jamf-only account, or do you use LDAP/AD login? We use AD to login to Jamf and I had been getting the "cannot create invitation" message, but creating a Jamf-only account for Jamf Image purposes worked for a while (I didn't get the message about being unable to create invitations). Then about 2 weeks ago I had to re-image a bunch of computers and was getting the invitation message with the Jamf-only account. Clearing Autorun data fixed the issue that time, so sometimes I guess it might be necessary to do both.