Unable to Delete Duplicate Machine

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

Seeing an odd issue with one device in the JSS. This device in our JSS that has two entries. One is current, the other has not 'checked in' since March. I can select and delete the currently active device through the console no problem. However, the older entry, when I click on the device name, goes to a new page and says "The page you requested could not be found".

I need to be able to delete both entries.

Anyone know of a way to delete this stale, false record? Perhaps a MySQL command or similar?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jason_bracy
Contributor III

I've had that issue, but not since 9.7.x (I think). I resolved it by creating a smart Group that would find any of the computers that were having that issue. Then I would select the "Action" button and then select the "Delete Computers" This always worked for me.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

thoule
Valued Contributor II

Sounds like your computer listing is cached and it has been deleted. Try to get a new list of computers and see if it's still there.

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

I would talk to your JAMF rep about it. They can advise on the correct MySQL commands you'd need to use to remove it. Its most likely a record in one table but not the other. Computer records actually appear in 2 tables and are normally in sync when everything's working well. But in this case, it may be in the table used to display data in the JSS GUI, but when you try to delete it it can't find the corresponding record in the other computers table. This actually happened to us once or twice due to some minor db corruption occurring.
I wish I could advise on the correct syntax in MySQL, but I don't know it. I'm not very good with command line sql stuff. Your JAMF rep should be able to help with it though.

jason_bracy
Contributor III

I've had that issue, but not since 9.7.x (I think). I resolved it by creating a smart Group that would find any of the computers that were having that issue. Then I would select the "Action" button and then select the "Delete Computers" This always worked for me.

This is still a valid work around.

JAMF support called it 'ghost records'.
Our JSS got rather borked and static group assignment couldn't see anything after the first ghost records ID. This affected the singular device assignments under policy 'scope' also.

I'll still delete devices from the buttons within each device entry, but if something is stuck, and the devices page won't load because 'it doesn't exist', this work around fixed things for me.

Thanks! 

MTFIDjamf
Contributor II

@jason.bracy This worked after setting the criteria with a 'like' computer name. Thank you!

jason_bracy
Contributor III

I was just about to reply with that :-) Glad you got it fixed. I took me a while to figure it out myself.

SimonFront
New Contributor

Jesus Christ how did THAT work? It did, I am just flabbergasted, since the machine could not be found through the API or anything...

Thanx a LOT!

jkeller13
New Contributor III

4 years later, and this still works! Thanks for solving that issue!!

JamfNewb
New Contributor

4 years later, I second this. It worked for me. Thanks :)

user-FMBITUULBp
New Contributor

Can we get steps to create smart group for delete..

GrayMan2023
New Contributor

In 2023 and this solution still works! THANKS!!!!!! Running The cloud based JAMF PRO.