Unable to Remote Wipe iPad

machjas
New Contributor

Good afternoon!

I'm trying to send a remote wipe command to an iPad to do some testing for anew configuration profile I'm working on. JAMF doesn't seem to send the command at all once I click the button. I don't even see it in the command history. I'm new to JAMF, I've run through the 101 training, and poked around the configuration profiles, but that's all the experience I have at this point. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there any reason JAMF wouldn't even bother trying to send the remote wipe command? Thanks!

-jas.

8 REPLIES 8

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

1) Is it on the correct WiFi? 2) Is the iPad managed?

machjas
New Contributor

Yes on both counts. I can send a restart command and it runs through immediately and reboots the iPad.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Delete the record?

machjas
New Contributor

I just deleted the record and re-enrolled it, and no luck.

machjas
New Contributor

I was just able to send the wipe command to the static group the device is in (it's the only one in the group for testing). Is there a reason I could send the wipe command to the group and not the individual device?

machjas
New Contributor

Dang. The activation lock isn't removed when I check the box.

CairoJXP
Contributor

When you do the wipe, you first have to go to the Activation Lock Bypass and click the Show Bypass Code. Then when you click the wipe device you have to check the activation lock box. If you don't do the first step, the ipad will require the apple ID password of the user signed into it before the wipe.

larry_barrett
Valued Contributor

Even if the activation lock can't be removed (person forgot it etc) you can still get it removed with Apple. Make sure you have the proper documentation (proof of purchase). After its wiped with activation lock on, that is the only remedy.