Unapproved caller error after installing updates

rmiltenb
New Contributor

Hello. On every computer that I update from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4, on log off the only thing that shows is

d530421bd4de4853afae8e7e480e973f

Here's the updates that were available to each device:

Finding available software
Software Update found the following new or updated software: RAWCameraUpdate6.18-6.18 Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update (6.18), 7499K [recommended] OS X El Capitan Update-10.11.4 OS X El Capitan Update (10.11.4), 1407218K [recommended] [restart] * iTunesXPatch-12.3.3 iTunes (12.3.3), 164700K [recommended]

I used a policy to have the computer check into Apple's update servers for updates. The policy is setup to not to reboot the computer if someone is logged into the computer. Is this by design with a major update of an OS? The only way to get around it is to restart the computer via SSH or Casper Remote or hold in the power button.

7 REPLIES 7

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@rmiltenb I believe you must do a restart after the upgrade from 10.11.3 to 10.11.4. That should resolve your issue.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

i've been seeing this too, a reboot fixes for me.

rmiltenb
New Contributor

Is there error related just to 10.11.4 update or has it done in the past with other updates on either El Capitan or previous versions of OSX? Will security updates, like Security Update 2016-002, cause the same error?

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

I always do a reboot whenever as OS upgrade was completed, so I've never seen the message before. I've seen it on other people's computers when they don't restart like they are supposed to. You can see in the information that you pasted in above that the OS update requires a restart. If you don't restart after installations that require a restart you will run the risk of seeing similar weird messages.

bpavlov
Honored Contributor

Yea I've seen this with other security updates. You definitely don't want to leave a computer on too long if a software update requires an update.

sgoetz
Contributor

That error has been happening for a while now. Basically when you push updates it locks some files that don't get unlocked until a reboot is done. So since we allow our users 24 hours before a forced reboot. I just changed the message to something along the lines. "Your machine was updated. Please reboot now to prevent any problems and to complete the update process"

bbot
Contributor

We use to have this issue when we performed updates that required a reboot, but didn't prompt the user to restart. Since forcing them to reboot within an hour of the updates being installed, we have not seen this message again.