Unassign an app license in Jamf

rangiitsp
New Contributor

We have limited number of licenses for MainStage, just enough for the number of teachers. We're now replacing their ageing Macbooks with newer ones but they can't install the app using self-service because there are no free licenses.

How have others worked around this (without purchasing extra licenses)?

I have created a script that deletes the app and do a recon (the record for the device in Jamf no longer shows the app as installed in inventory) but the license is not released (Mac Apps still show all licenses are used). Is there a delay when this gets updated or do I really have to wipe the old device before the record is updated?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

How are you scoping the app? Remove the old machine from the scope if it's working off a smart group or static group of computers. If a smart group is scoped to the app then make changes to that smart group that exclude the older machines. 

VPP apps will consume a license typically as soon as it's scoped to a computer(auto install), so simply removing the app and doing a recon won't change anything.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

How are you scoping the app? Remove the old machine from the scope if it's working off a smart group or static group of computers. If a smart group is scoped to the app then make changes to that smart group that exclude the older machines. 

VPP apps will consume a license typically as soon as it's scoped to a computer(auto install), so simply removing the app and doing a recon won't change anything.

rangiitsp
New Contributor

Thanks. That would be it. The device was still in scope (smart group All Laptops) but I had thought that since the app was Self Service, it wouldn't automatically consume a license.