Uninstall System Extensions without user approval

bwoods
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Is there a way to uninstall system extensions without user approval? I need the ability to silently remove software when it doesn't pass my pilot/testing workflow.

3 REPLIES 3

jtrant
Valued Contributor

If they were manually approved by a user, they require user authentication to be uninstalled. The only automated way is un-scoping a system extension MDM profile that was honored by the system (e.g. a user did not previously user-approve).

SmilieK
New Contributor III

If it was User Approved, you can move the app out of the applications folder to the mp folder and then delete it. The end-user will not be prompted for Admin Creds when it's removed. This does leave a reference to the System Extension. :( but does not require user interaction or to be admins. - I don't like this method but had to use it once.

rqomsiya
Contributor III

There currently is no way to silently remove a system extension. @rtrouton has a great write-up here:

Uninstalling macOS system extensions.

As of yet there is no way to use the systemextensionsctl without first disabling SIP. I'm having this issue, for example, when I attempt to uninstall SEP.