Unmanage a computer after 9.0

libertyuniversi
New Contributor II

To unmanage a computer after the 9.0 upgade, do you "Remove MDM Profile" on the management tab of a computer entry, or is there a checkbox I'm missing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mm2270
Legendary Contributor III

Click on a Mac to go into its Details, then while on the "General" section, scroll down on the right pane if needed to see an Edit button. Click that and you'll see a checkbox called "Allow JSS to perform management tasks" That now appears to be what used to be called "Manage this computer" from the older JSS.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

mm2270

Click on a Mac to go into its Details, then while on the "General" section, scroll down on the right pane if needed to see an Edit button. Click that and you'll see a checkbox called "Allow JSS to perform management tasks" That now appears to be what used to be called "Manage this computer" from the older JSS.

libertyuniversi
New Contributor II

I wasn't sure about that checkbox because after it says "Only applies if the computer is managed". This implies that this setting does not affect whether the computer is managed or not.

external image link

mm2270

I think it does unmanage it though. I just got word today from our Account Manager that JSS 9 uses a different method of determining what is and isn't managed. I was told that there is a "field called "is_managed" in the computers_denormalized table. This is set to 1, or managed, or 0, unmanaged." to quote exactly.

I guess one way to confirm it is to check the # of unmanaged Macs on the dashboard view, then uncheck that box on one of your test Macs and go back into the dashboard and see if the number increased by 1.