Update existing application - running?

bbarciz
Contributor

Hello!

I'm looking for thoughts on updating an existing application to a new version and how to address the fact that the application may be open and running when the policy runs for the new version?  For example, if upgrading Firefox to a new version package (not allowing the browser to auto update), how do you address that the user may have left firefox open overnight on their computer?  In my testing, I was able to have the old version open, have Jamf do a policy update to install the new version, and then when I closed and re-opened, the new version was launched.  Just wondering about any best practices for this?

Thanks!

3 REPLIES 3

bbarciz
Contributor

I just reminded myself that there is an option in the patch management area for apps that must quit and I bet this is all that needs done.

aparten
New Contributor III

You can also check out Installomator. It has multiple methods of handling updates for apps that are currently running. Only requires adding the script into Jamf then configuring a policy to deploy it however you'd like.

Thanks for the suggestion!  Add another open browser tab to my list to check out!