Upgraded macOS 10.12.1 or .2 with Server.app installed

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

Anybody had problem with going to 10.12.1 or .2? Particularly on their servers. I've upgraded a few servers and they went fine, but others failed out with some GUI issues 7e62931701374f09b8c24bf0d158c8fd and next to impossible to log into due to delayed registering of typed characters. The log files showed Server 5.1 having problems.

The only solution I found was to wipe and reload and went to 10.12.1 directly from the recovery partition. Now that 10.12.2 was out, I upgraded one of the downed servers to that and it happened again, but it was already on Server 5.2 and the log files seem to be quiet this time.

I've had this weird GUI problem on 2 different servers. Both requiring a wipe and reload.

5 REPLIES 5

tdclark
Contributor

Are these running headless? I have a MacPro doing the same thing. As soon as I plug a monitor in, the problem resolves itself. Not a whole lot of fun crawling around and hooking it up, but it works.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

They are headless, but hooking a monitor didn't seem to help. I can have the onsite tech try it.

jwojda
Valued Contributor II

@tdclark i had a tech hook one up to the machine I upgraded to 10.12.2 and launch the server.app and that seemed to work. After that I was able to remote in and reboot and do things with the machine. So thanks!

I am going to have another someone do that on the other server still on 10.12.1 and launch the server.app on there.

thanks for the tip!

tdclark
Contributor

Great to hear! In my experience it is fine until it reboots and then this whole hook a monitor up ordeal happens again. Thankfully that computer is mostly my Configurator computer and doesn't get much use! If you find a more permanent fix I'd love to hear it.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jwojda you might take a look at one of the headless video accelerator available here and here. We've used the NewerTech one on some of our Mac Minis and they worked well.