User and Location information is not populating

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

We have around 350 seniors that just graduated and their iPads are being "recycled" down to the incoming 7th grade class. I wiped each device using iTunes (iOS 9.3.3) and have tried setting it backup using the credentials of a 7th grader, we have LDAP authentication. The problem is the "User and Location" fields are left blank but the correct profiles are still being installed because the pre-stage enrollment forces the iPad into a specific building "Middle School" which carries with it all the proper restrictions. To make matters worse the entire iWorks suite, PDF expert, and 3 more apps are auto installing even though they are set to "Make available in Self-Service." Anyone have any ideas whats wrong? I have attached screenshots of the commands I've run on the JSS server as well as images of the prestage enrollment and of the device itself. 55c546938e074663826cc139e1778e67
9931d708302d4f79925d7a6d9d53888e
5ddde91f6f50408ead8e655b441af500

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jouwstrab Did you remove the record of the device you're testing before setting it back up? If you didn't I'm wondering if there is some old information tied to the record in the database that is causing you issues. I've run into weird issues with my test computers if I don't delete them out of my database before enrolling them back in.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jouwstrab do you have "Collect user and location information from LDAP" checked in Gear -> Mobile Device Management -> Inventory Collection? I think that needs to be checked to get that information populated from LDAP. Of course you have to have those LDAP fields being properly mapped as well.

For the app installs, do you have them set to Install Automatically/Prompt Users to Install or Make Available in Self Service in Mobile Devices -> Apps -> Name of App and scoped appropriately?

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

Thanks for your reply. I checked on both your suggestions and both are already set correctly. Thanks.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@jouwstrab Did you remove the record of the device you're testing before setting it back up? If you didn't I'm wondering if there is some old information tied to the record in the database that is causing you issues. I've run into weird issues with my test computers if I don't delete them out of my database before enrolling them back in.

View solution in original post

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

That is what I ended up having to do, remove the devices completely and then reset them backup. Which is fine, but I was hoping there was way to do it without so I wouldn't have to re-enter the asset tags again. However, no dice I appears. Thanks for you suggestions.

bcampbell
Contributor

@jouwstrab To avoid needing to enter the asset tags again, before you remove the devices (if it is not already too late), you could export serial numbers and asset tags to a csv file then use JSS MUT (jssmut.com) to set the asset tags as a batch. (JSS MUT is an unofficial app not supported by JAMF, but it seems to make it much easier to do what people frequently talk about doing with scripts.)

jouwstrab
New Contributor III

@bcampbell I did export the information before removing the devices! So thank you SO SO MUCH for the link to JSS MUT that will save me so much time. Around 450 devices at this point in time! You are the real MVP.