Using App Redemption Codes - Users still getting charged

kcoakley
New Contributor

We've just recently begun deploying iPads to our faculty. As a part of the deployment process, we are giving apps that we've purchased through the Apple VPP program to our faculty members. The redemption codes have been uploaded to JAMF and we are using the Self Service to have the users install them with their personal Apple IDs. Surprisingly, we have found a number of instances where users' personal credit cards were charged despite the fact that we have plenty of redemption codes available.

I understand that there is a patch in the works that will improve JAMFs management of the redemption codes, but at this point we are trying to reassure our users that this won't happen again.

Has anyone else experienced this? Are there any concrete work-arounds or steps to avoid?

Thanks for any help,
Ken

3 REPLIES 3

bbardenhagen
New Contributor

we are seeing the same thing. I was given this recommendation by our accout manager but we still seem to be having problems:

"Thank you for contacting JAMF Support about this issue with VPP codes. There are typically three reasons for the VPP process to fail, and they are all related to restrictions. In Mobile Device Configuration Profiles in the JSS, please investigate any profiles that have a Restrictions payload enabled. The three settings that will interrupt the VPP process having the check mark removed from Allow Installing Apps, Allow Use of iTunes Store, and under the Media tab, having an age rating set for Allowed Content Rating for Apps. We have seen people choose the 12+ option for this, but it interrupts the VPP process for a lot of apps.

Please ensure that all of these are set correctly. If we see any codes in the JSS records being marked as redeemed, but they did not work correctly on the device, chances are the JSS thinks the codes are redeemed, but Apple will not. In this case, go back to the Apple portal and re-download the spreadsheet of codes. Re-uploading this spreadsheet to the JSS will correct the records. Please let us know if this solves the issue, or if there are further questions."

kcoakley
New Contributor

Thanks for replying - it's good to know we're not alone!

I can say for certain that that is NOT what is causing the issue in our setting. We have no Profiles with restriction payloads enabled.

What we have seen is that the App installation process can be interrupted if Apple requests additional information regarding the user's Apple ID. For example, a user may be prompted to update their credit card information, set security questions or agree to new store terms. Once that interruption takes place, the user may be prompted to Buy the App from the store. If the user is not paying attention, it's very easy just to tap "Buy" and continue unaware.

However, we are also seeing instances where the user did choose Cancel and not Buy. The user returns to Self Service and attempts to install the App again and, despite the fact that there is no interruption nor an indication to buy, is charged for the app anyway.

This has been quite frustrating and has made us question using JSS for app distribution. Perhaps we would have been better off manually distributing the redemption codes to our faculty.

Thanks,
Ken

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

When I tested JAMF's deployment of codes, I saw similar strangeness, also if a user hit cancel during the process, for example, the code was 'used' in the JSS.

To be fair, I haven't retested with 8.52.

For this reason, for now, I'm still emailing the codes to the user and have them manually put them in to the redeem link in the app store. Our users don't really request many apps though. You can also email out the link with the app code in it, but I don't even do that because I'm sure most of my users would open it on their PC laptops in outlook.