/var/mysql size

Not applicable

Hello all. I have some questions regarding mysql and the casper suite. This is on an xserve running 10.6 server. Mysql ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.88.

I was looking into some creeping disk space issues and noticed that my mysql directory was 29GB. As far as I know, mysql isn't used for anything beside the casper suite, which is reporting it's database being 11GB. When looking in the mysql directory, I see that there are a large number of mysql-bin.xxxxxx files that are being created. It appears to be safe to delete them, but I just wanted to confirm that, find out why they get created, and see if there is something I can do to keep from having to flush them manually.

==Here are a few of the files (from /var/mysql)=
-rw-rw---- 1 _mysql admin 78M May 30 03:31 mysql-bin.000360
-rw-rw---- 1 _mysql admin 90M May 31 03:32 mysql-bin.000361
-rw-rw---- 1 _mysql admin 107M Jun 1 03:34 mysql-bin.000362

==Instructions for flushing them: =
http://forums.mysql.com/read.php?10,78659,78660

==Nothing extra here=
mysql> show databases;
+--------------------+
| Database |
+--------------------+
| information_schema | | jamfsoftware | | mysql | +--------------------+

Any other thoughts on maintaining mysql? I'm not very familiar with "database stuff".

Thanks!
Aaron

6 REPLIES 6

jarednichols
Honored Contributor

See this for an explanation.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-mysql-binary-log/

j
---
Jared F. Nichols
Desktop Engineer, Client Services
Information Services Department
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
244 Wood Street
Lexington, Massachusetts 02420

Not applicable

Here's what I did for now.

I didn't want to disable the binary-logging, so I just decided to limit the number of logs.

$ nano -w /etc/my.cnf
and add...
expire_logs_days = 14

I restarted mysql through the Server Admin GUI and mysql purged all of the logs aside from the last 14. Seems to work.

jmsgrady
New Contributor III

Thank you so much for this, Account Deleted!

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

Awesome, thank you!

justin
New Contributor

im confused, was this person's account deleted? or is their account called Account deleted?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

This setting is now configured in the JSS Database Utility. For all else who stumbles across the old thread.

chris :)