Virtual Machine Smart Group

glennmiller
New Contributor III

Hi All,

I am trying to create a smart group of all the virtual machines I've enrolled, but I'm not able to identify an attribute to filter on.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

jlandwehr
New Contributor

check "model" or "model identifier". I use VMWare Fusion for VMs and it creates a unique id for these for me to easily smartgroup them.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jlandwehr
New Contributor

check "model" or "model identifier". I use VMWare Fusion for VMs and it creates a unique id for these for me to easily smartgroup them.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@glennmiller If you're using VMware Fusion, create a Smart Group with Criteria: "Boot ROM" Operator: "like" Value: "VMW"

glennmiller
New Contributor III

@jlandwehr Thank you. Not sure how I missed the Model Identifier. . .
@sdagley Doesn't look like Boot Rom will work for me as I'm using Parallels.

sdagley
Esteemed Contributor II

@glennmiller To run DEP/ADE tests you will need something unique like Boot Rom to actually identify a VM since you'll have to spoof the Model Identifier and serial number. I suspect that Parallels also uses a unique ROM identifier, so if you have a device that you know is a VM enrolled already look in the Hardware page of the Computer Record's Inventory to see what's listed for Boot Rom (it's the very last field on the page) and use that in a Smart Group.

glennmiller
New Contributor III

Thanks @sdagley - Looks like Parallels uses "15.1.3 (47255)".
Also found that some VMs show Model ID as Paralells15,2 and others show MacBookPro15,2, so ROM ID will hopefully be the same on all :-)