VPP app licenses not applying to devices

kj2019
New Contributor II

I've had an issue crop up today where devices (specifically iOS devices) are not getting VPP licenses assigned to them when an app is in scope. I've confirmed we have thousands of extra licenses available but each device is stuck in this state:

Pending - All licenses are in use or the license is not assigned yet

When checking the Volume Purchasing logs this message is repeated endlessly:

[ERROR] [ralPool-309] [VppCommService ] - Error managing licenses. ErrorNumber: 9600 , ErrorMessage:Either an associate or a disassociate array is required.

I've got a ticket in with Jamf, but I'm a newer Jamf administrator and wasn't sure if this is a Jamf/Apple problem or something I might be able to fix.

 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kj2019
New Contributor II

I managed to find a fix for this in another thread. Somehow an iPhone got enrolled into Jamf without a serial number, and that managed to break VPP for the entire instance. Once I deleted the problem device, VPP started assigning licenses again within 10 minutes.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

kj2019
New Contributor II

I managed to find a fix for this in another thread. Somehow an iPhone got enrolled into Jamf without a serial number, and that managed to break VPP for the entire instance. Once I deleted the problem device, VPP started assigning licenses again within 10 minutes.

View solution in original post

aarond
New Contributor III

Thanks for sharing. This solved a problem for us too.

In our case I know for sure that the problem device had a serial number a couple weeks earlier since I had exported all devices and found that file. It had a serial then, but it was missing a serial number now.
Removing the device instantly solved the same issue you described.

tmagdziasz
New Contributor II

Exact same problem here so I searched inventory for a device with no serial and yep there it was a device with no serial.  I deleted it and would you guess it, VPP started assigning again properly.

aarond
New Contributor III

It has happened to me again. I have a support case in with Jamf but now I'm waiting for it to happen again so they can look at the device to troubleshoot.
If it happens to you it may be helpful to contact them and see if they can help before removing the device from JSS.

Referencing this may help catch them up to speed and let them know it's a recurring issue now.

 

tmagdziasz
New Contributor II

I actually had a case opened with them and found this while waiting for them... yeah we are going to keep an eye on the device

aarond
New Contributor III

I referenced this thread hoping to show it's not a single fluke issue.

For us it wasn't the same device - just another random device when it happened the second time.

Not sure if it impacts it, but both iPads did report 100% used storage capacity when they lost their serial number in JSS.