I've had an issue crop up today where devices (specifically iOS devices) are not getting VPP licenses assigned to them when an app is in scope. I've confirmed we have thousands of extra licenses available but each device is stuck in this state:
Pending - All licenses are in use or the license is not assigned yet
When checking the Volume Purchasing logs this message is repeated endlessly:
[ERROR] [ralPool-309] [VppCommService ] - Error managing licenses. ErrorNumber: 9600 , ErrorMessage:Either an associate or a disassociate array is required.
I've got a ticket in with Jamf, but I'm a newer Jamf administrator and wasn't sure if this is a Jamf/Apple problem or something I might be able to fix.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Thanks for sharing. This solved a problem for us too.
In our case I know for sure that the problem device had a serial number a couple weeks earlier since I had exported all devices and found that file. It had a serial then, but it was missing a serial number now.
Removing the device instantly solved the same issue you described.
Exact same problem here so I searched inventory for a device with no serial and yep there it was a device with no serial. I deleted it and would you guess it, VPP started assigning again properly.
It has happened to me again. I have a support case in with Jamf but now I'm waiting for it to happen again so they can look at the device to troubleshoot.
If it happens to you it may be helpful to contact them and see if they can help before removing the device from JSS.
Referencing this may help catch them up to speed and let them know it's a recurring issue now.
I referenced this thread hoping to show it's not a single fluke issue.
For us it wasn't the same device - just another random device when it happened the second time.
Not sure if it impacts it, but both iPads did report 100% used storage capacity when they lost their serial number in JSS.
This just happened to one of our student iPads today, the second time this year so far. Before I deleted it, I also noted that it reported 100% used space and 1% battery level and that it updated its inventory today. This iPad was purchased through Apple in 2016 so I'm not sure what caused this now. I did a search on Used Space of 100% and found that we have 2 other iPads that have 100% used space but they still have their serial numbers. These 2 have not checked in for over a year or more. The freshly out-of-the-box iPads that I enrolled this morning are now installing apps! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I was troubleshooting a VPP issue all morning and I finally found this thread.
I searched all mobile devices for anything without a serial number and sure enough there was one. This wasn't a recent enrollment either. I did an inventory update and blank push on the device and it suddenly had a serial number again. Immediately the app we were having a VPP issue with started deploying.
Glad to hear that this helped you too. Jamf suggested that I make a Smart group for "No Serial Number" with the criteria "Serial Number" - Operator "is" - Value is left blank. This checks daily and so I am able to easily see when a device has lost its serial number - for whatever reason.
Jamf is working on it but doesn't have a lot of data to go off of it seems like.
If it happens regularly it may be helpful to open a support case with JAMF so they can look for similarities in our cases.
Also, in many cases, issuing an update inventory command fixes it without having to delete the device from JSS.