VPP App Push

pat_best
Contributor III

VPP account, DEP enrolled iPads, Supervised devices, apple ID is set to allow free apps without password, require password set to every 15, and auto download is on for app updates. Can Licensed VPP apps without a sheet of codes be pushed to iPads? Can VPP free apps be pushed silently? I am aware that I can "purchase" free apps via VPP and have them show in self service and if I add them via the apps page in the JSS I can push silently. I do not want to buy them in VPP then turn around and download the app, edit it, then upload it to the JSS. I am pretty sure that if I want silent push it will only happen with free apps added to the JSS from the app store and licensed VPP apps cannot be pushed silently. Please correct me if I am wrong, thanks!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

pat_best
Contributor III

From JAMF:

So we are left with two workarounds: 1. Having the App under "Mobile Devices" and making it available in Self Service to the devices 2. Same as above, but have it prompt/install automatically. Option 1 is usually the most popular option. That way if a student/user deletes the app accidentally, they know that the app will always be in Self Service. With either workaround, we will need to have the Free app purchased and also scoped out to users as a VPP app assignment.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pat_best
Contributor III

From JAMF:

So we are left with two workarounds: 1. Having the App under "Mobile Devices" and making it available in Self Service to the devices 2. Same as above, but have it prompt/install automatically. Option 1 is usually the most popular option. That way if a student/user deletes the app accidentally, they know that the app will always be in Self Service. With either workaround, we will need to have the Free app purchased and also scoped out to users as a VPP app assignment.