VPP app scoping

ckaropoulos
New Contributor

So, something I have noticed is VPP apps are assigned to users regardless of if they already have the app, so it is using up licenses

This is a problem after having just moved from codes where some students already have the app from a redemption code and some students need the app via VPP.

I am trying to think of ways of scoping to avoid this issue, or creating smart a smart group for each app to exclude those who already have the app, but VPP being dynamic the way it is would go ahead and remove the app from the user once the inventory updates and they are added to the smart group as having installed the app which is excluded in the scoping. Ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have made a feature request for it here https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2546

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

jchurch
Contributor II

this is a valid concern. we are new to casper and in that same situation. a solution for this would be very helpful.

pcamdm1
New Contributor II

Since an app inventory can already be taken on the device, it makes sense that the VPP invitations/licenses could be contingent upon whether the app is there or not. Feature request, anyone?

Simmo
Contributor II
Contributor II

I have made a feature request for it here https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=2546

tadholyfamily
New Contributor

This is an unbelievable bug. It's going to cost thousands at this school. Is there any MDM for which this works properly?

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

What if you made smart or static User groups with your criteria, and Exclude them from the VPP Assignment? Perhaps take those device queries and determine the usernames.. then create a User Extension Attribute (popup menu with one option 'Yes') 'Owns app such-and-such'. Or if you have a User Group you are using to assign the app, make that EA the Exclusion for that group. It would be a lot of initial data entry adding to each User record.

I don't use Device static groups, because they (used to?) lose members if the iPads were unenrolled. So if you decide to use User static groups, do a lot of Testing.

chris

I'm still trying to figure out how to scope my app on the device side so it doesn't go until the user VPP assignment has been done. There is no User Group Limitation!!!!! <arrrgh>

tadholyfamily
New Contributor

I like your idea of using an User Extension Attribute to generate a smart group.

I'm still trying to figure out how to scope my app on the device side so it doesn't go until the user VPP assignment has been done. There is no User Group Limitation!!!!! <arrrgh>

If you make a VPP assignment but don't push the app in the mobile device section, I think that will do what you want.

cdenesha
Valued Contributor II

shyczx
New Contributor

But VPP is not support for China. How do I push paid apps to self service?