VPP, Apple ID and Mac App Store

gskibum
Contributor III

I am trying to compose documentation of the process for users to set up a Apple IDs to accept VPP invitations.

I set up a test Apple ID. But when I go to the Mac App Store and sign in it requires a credit card. I am prompted with "This Apple ID has not yet been used with the App Store. Please review your account information.

When I log in through the Mac App Store app I am taken to the Payment screen. And there is no option for "none."

Is there a way around attaching a credit card to an Apple ID just for the sake of accepting VPP invitations? I see I can attach a credit card and remove it later. But I would prefer to just avoid having to attach a credit card in the first place.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III
15 REPLIES 15

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

i've always setup apple id's through the itunes store. basically make sure your logged out of the store, navigate to a free app ie ibooks, purchase it then create an apple id when prompted and you will have the option to select none as the payment method

i've used the apple script to bulk create 100's of apple id's for students this way its great

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2534

--
https://donmontalvo.com

calumhunter
Valued Contributor

beat me to it @donmontalvo !

donmontalvo
Esteemed Contributor III

@calumhunter...oops, looks like we posted at the same time. :)

--
https://donmontalvo.com

gskibum
Contributor III

Thanks! This looks more convoluted than just assigning a credit card then removing it.

Too bad this can't be done for Apple IDs created through appleid.apple.com. That would be an easier process to document. Especially since the instructions in the link says "Open iTunes, then go to the iTunes Store by clicking the iTunes Store button in the upper-right corner of the window."

I don't see any button in the upper-right corner. And this group isn't big on improvising. ;-)

MarkHale
New Contributor

gskibum
Contributor III

Well dang it. Logging in to the Mac App Store with the Apple ID I created by using the process from the KB link above still resulted in the insistence of assigning a credit card to the Apple ID.

Is it not possible to use VPP to download & install VPP assigned software without attaching a credit card to the Apple ID? It's just this silly step of having to attach the credit card to access VPP assigned apps that is making a big speed bump. Users have to attach the credit card only to have to go and remove it in appleid.apple.com.

Apple's got a great system with VPP. But this credit card thing is hanging things up.

jshipman
New Contributor III

@gskibum Have them attempt to download a free app (iBooks is usually a good suggestion) BEFORE they create an AppleID in either iTunes or the Mac App store. When they try to download, it should ask them if they want to create an Apple ID they go through the creation of the Apple ID and it should then give them the option of "None" as their payment source. This used to be the case, at least. Let me know how it goes.

pmartin
New Contributor II

I've found that if you make a small change to the account - like add a user salutation - the issue goes away.

gskibum
Contributor III

Thanks jshipman!

But rats. I had a glimmer of hope, but no luck.

I did use the free iBook trick to create the Apple ID. It did let me select "None" and I thought I had achieved success - an Apple ID with no credit card attached.

But when I went to the Mac App Store and signed in with the Apple ID, I am guided through the Terms & Agreement stuff then on to the Payment screen - and there is no longer a "None" option available for the credit card.

After I wrote that last post I realized I had not actually followed through with downloading the free iBook. So I just tried to do that via iTunes. As with the Mac App Store I was guided to the Terms & Agreement page then on to the Payment page. Where again there is no "None" option present.

Dang it Apple! Shakes fist in the air in the general direction of Cupertino...

gskibum
Contributor III

Thaks pmartin. But that didn't work. :-(

jshipman
New Contributor III

@gskibum Try this:

1. Open iTunes
  2. Click on iTunes Store
  3. Scroll ALL the way down to the bottom of the page
  4. Under "Manage" click "Redeem"
  5. Enter your existing-but-stuck User ID and Password in the popup and click OK
  6. Select NONE as payment option
  7. Fill out Title, Address and Phone Number
  8. Click Continue
  9. You're done! Enjoy you're existing not-stuck account.

From: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4459870?start=15

gskibum
Contributor III

Shazzam! That works!

Thanks jshipman!

VPP is an amazing system. But Apple really needs to iron this out. It should not be anywhere near as much of a hassle as it is to create an Apple ID to use with VPP.

gskibum
Contributor III

I think the thing that threw the monkey wrench into the works was that I was not using the same device to check for the verification email. It works much easier when the whole process is done on the same device.

gskibum
Contributor III

The reason the iTunes Store isn't in the upper right corner is that upon launching iTunes for the first time I always show the Sidebar. Do that and things shift around.