VPP Device based Assignment / Use of licenses

rblaas
Contributor II

Hi all,

I am wondering if I am doing the right thing here.

A few weeks ago I started testing with Apps from the AppStore redistribution. So I add some licenses to our VPP account for "Microsoft Remote Desktop" a free app.

After the licenses had been added to our VPP account I edited the self created Mac App Store App.
- I have setup auto update and force update
- Setup automatically distribution
- Set a scope to a smart group (devices with no Microsoft Remote Desktop)
- And selected the 'Assign VPP Content'.

After a few minutes the software was automatically install on the devices which where in that smart group. I could also see that licenses where given on a device based manner.

Now here is my thing.... We are approx a week further and I notice that the License in use is now set back to 0 (zero) as in the 2 it was a week ago.

My guess is that this has to do with the smart group I have created. The Smartgroup only contains devices which have no Microsoft Remote Desktop installed, therefor the Device bases assigned license is revoked.

So my question is. How do I setup Device Based Enrollment correctly?
I want to be able to see how many license are in use.

As a side note I would like to mention that although the option for distribution was set to Automatically, the app was also available in the selfservice. This was the reason for me to create a smart group. Because if I didn't (and assigned to devices) the app remained available in selfservice, even after install.

Any insights are appreciated!

Regards,

Ronald

3 REPLIES 3

cbrewer
Valued Contributor II

Right now device assignment licenses are directly tied to the App scoping that you would normally use for Self Service. For device based assignments, you have to use the Scope to define who gets a license. This makes it difficult to use Self Service in a dynamic way where users might only see an App if they don't already have it installed.

https://jamfnation.jamfsoftware.com/featureRequest.html?id=4813

rblaas
Contributor II

@cbrewer Thanks for your response!
I have voted the FeatureRequest up.

As for now I only see the option to have the app available in selfservice for all time (even when already installed) I just have to scope the devices correct and not on an existence of the App..

ldennard
New Contributor

On free apps we import enough licenses to cover the number of devices it will be installed on. In some cases more because some apps that are free don't stay free.