VPP, Mac OS App Store and Profile Manager as a Short Term Solution

gskibum
Contributor III

I'm setting up VPP for the first time in a JSS of under 50 users and see that for now VPP works only with iOS.

Is it feasible to use Profile Manager in the short term, then later on when Casper supports Mac OS VPP revoke the apps from Profile Manager and then start to use Casper for VPP for these same purchases?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

andyparkernz
New Contributor III

We've started to use VPP for Mac OS Apps in Casper

When we create a VPP assignment, then Click Options->Apps there is a Mac Apps option available.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

catalyticit
New Contributor II

Yes you can do this.

I think uses may have to enrol again.

And also recreate groups and assign apps in Casper as this info will not pull across

You just need to make sure you remove the VPP token from Profile manager. Other wise you end up with a battle of systems. each one will try and pull back the app and reassign it, so the client will keep on getting notifications on app being revoked and re-assigned

andyparkernz
New Contributor III

We've started to use VPP for Mac OS Apps in Casper

When we create a VPP assignment, then Click Options->Apps there is a Mac Apps option available.

gskibum
Contributor III

You are correct Andy! Don't know how I got it in my head that Mac OS apps were not yet worked in to VPP.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

I think you were thinking of the bug in 9.3 that people are having right now. New purchases don't always show up on the JSS, sometimes it is fixed by restarting the Tomcat service or be reuploading your token. I'm not sure if this is happening on the iOS side. You can find other threads on this too.

adamcodega
Valued Contributor

In the release notes for 9.4 you'll see the bug [D-007194] has been marked as fixed so looks like this issue has been resolved. VPP purchases are coming up very quickly for me now. By the way, you can test VPP by purchasing free apps through the VPP portal.