VPP - "...failed to download. Use the Purchases page to try again"

joe_giguere
New Contributor

Has anyone seen this error before? I've updated the VPP token in the JSS and purchased a new free app to distribute, but am still seeing this problem for all AppStore applications. I've also tested on multiple machines in our environment and see consistent results.a2300d60dc7a4c9c91b12d2f7b42a385

I've had the same results with multiple applications - Skitch, Microsoft Remote Desktop, EasyFind, LastPass, Wunderlist, ect.

36 REPLIES 36

mconners
Valued Contributor

Interesting...I have had this problem all day with TextWrangler and Xcode and tried to figure it out. No luck though. This is new for me though...I haven't seen it before today.

mconners
Valued Contributor

By the way, searching a little, I did find this issue being reported to Apple and JAMF...

Apple's Discussion Page

iMatthewCM
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey Joe,

We've currently got a ticket open with Apple about this. Looks like Device VPP for Macs, and User VPP for iPads, is down on their end.

We're encouraging all of our customers with an AppleCare agreement to contact Apple so that they can better gauge the impact. Please reference the following AppleCare ticket: 1163854473

Sorry for the inconvenience :(

-Matthew

rblaas
Contributor II

We also have this problem. We tried free Mac Apps and Paid Mac Apps. Both result in the same error..

Had a talk with apple and they say everything is operational on their side.. So now I have opened a ticket with JAMF..

joe_giguere
New Contributor

Thanks, Matthew.

I will call our Apple rep today and see what he has to say. I'm glad it's nothing I did!

rblass - What's your JAMF ticket number? If I need to call JAMF afterwards, I'd like to refer to it.

rblaas
Contributor II

@joe.giguere

Hi Joe,

this is my ticket number: JAMF-0279728

Very much like to hear what they have to say...

joe_giguere
New Contributor

Thank you. I'll keep you posted.

mjsanders
New Contributor III

I think we have a similar issue, but the error has a different dialog box:
95bab5797aeb4b2082fbb9199bcc85ba
It only happens with (VPP) Mac App store apps (Microsoft Remote Desktop in our case, both all VPP apps fail). Checked items:

-all other policies work fine.
-We have a customised Self Service App
-jamf, version=9.92
-deleting this Self Service app, and running sudo jamf manage does not help. -Clients on 10.11.3-10.11.5
-VPP token is still valid, no licence agreements waiting for agreement..
-Nothing in /var/log/jamf.log (which is normal for VPP app's I guess)

from ˜/Library/Logs/JAMF/JAMFApplications.log:

2016-06-30 9:25:50 AM <com.jamfsoftware.selfservice>: Error executing Mac App "Microsoft Remote Desktop"
Error Domain=JAMFSoftware/SelfService Code=20 "Quit and re-open XX App Store to try again." UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Quit and re-open XX App Store to try again.}

with help from @mvdbent

mjsanders
New Contributor III

Check out this post too, I guess the core issue is the same.

christopher_kac
New Contributor II

Does it depends on user associated VPP Apps or Device based ?

rblaas
Contributor II

We only use device based. So I have no knowledge wether it is also on User based ..

dvasquez
Valued Contributor

Hello.

We are seeing this exact same error when trying to install Final Cut Pro. We are using device assignment and the systems we are woking to install on are MDM compatible. I just wanted to chime in here.

172b79251ba3477a82950b47efc9567b

TomDay
Release Candidate Programs Tester

No response at all from my TAM in 2 days. Tried emailing who I thought was our sales rep from a few years back but he's no longer there. Anyone know how I can find out who my sales rep is so I can get some attention?

rblaas
Contributor II

No response here either.

I do notice a change in the message.
When the app tries to deployment no error is displayed but instead Credentials are asked for the app store.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@TomDay if you log into JAMF Nation and go the the menu at the top (menu with your JAMF Nation user name) and choose My Support then click the My Account Team tab it should show you who your TAM is. That assumes your JAMF Nation credentials are properly linked to your organizations account.

TomDay

@mpermann thanks my TAM is there. Was hoping for my sales rep who I emailed and is no longer at Jamf . Finally heard break from my TAM 3 days later.

iMatthewCM
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hey all,

Just wanted to give an update to anyone waiting on VPP: Apple tells us the iPad issues are resolved, but the Mac issues still persist.

def
New Contributor

Same issue here. Tried it with macOS device assignment and Apple ID assignment. Theres no way to install OS X Server on that machine on device assignment.

Tried Apple ID assignment on Monday and ran into errors. Today i clears the App Store Cache (https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4362474?tstart=0) and tried to install it again trough the App Store. Finally successful.

But the device assignment error still persists.

CasperSally
Valued Contributor II

Didn't realize this was still an issue. I ran into it today, reported to Apple. Not very confidence inspiring to see it's lingered this long.

lazyGhost
New Contributor III

My money is on this issue won't be fixed until MacOS Sierra drops.

I posted in a similar thread and I can't get OS X Server.app to drop on a few of my clients either. Tried clearing the cache and no dice.

rblaas
Contributor II

two weeks now... I sure hope Apple will not wait for the fix until Sierra because we (and lot's of other company's) have the problem now!

mconners
Valued Contributor

I agree @rblaas. Waiting is not the way to go here. There are a number of us that rely on this mechanism to work. When it isn't working, it creates problems for us. Additionally, we aren't moving to Sierra any time soon.

So let's get this fixed now, not later.

ksanborn
New Contributor III

We are having the same issue here. Big issue for us because we have purchased an App that needs to be device based and the employee do some of their work without the App.

KDempsey93
New Contributor

Tested this morning, still experiencing the same issues. Halfway through a ~400 device reimage using device assigned apps. :(

Will be logging a bug report with Apple to help reinforce urgency. Genuinely appalled that this isn't fixed when it is such a heavily used feature in enterprise and education.

Hawky
New Contributor III

I just asked Apple for an update. I received the following:

Thank you very much for your email. I can confirm our Apple Engineers are currently working on the issue reported under Case ID 1163854473. We don’t have an ETA for the fix from the Engineers, but if I hear anything I’ll let you know. Have a nice weekend ! Kind Regards, Imre EDU Support Apple Inc., on behalf of Apple Distribution International

bentoms

Thanks @Hawky.

This is an aggravating issues. :(

JesseNCSD
New Contributor III

Yeah, thanks @Hawky ... our Apple contacts haven't been as good at getting back. Driving me nuts...

mconners
Valued Contributor

Honestly, this is really poor service to have a critical component down like this and not getting it resolved. If I treated our customers this same way, my CIO would be at my desk in a heart beat expecting a resolution and soon. Come on, we deserve better than this!!

warren_gowen
New Contributor

Has there been any updates on this??

Hawky
New Contributor III

ukedu@euro.apple.com is staying firmly in my crosshairs until it's fixed.

Feel free to fire additional warning shots; they might move faster!

bentoms

I think this might be fixed...

Had a few managed apps installs for a few JSS's we manage this AM.

mtruskowski
New Contributor III

Yes, seeing successful installs here as well.

Hawky
New Contributor III

Not working here yet. I just tried Pages using device based VPP and got the same old error.

TomDay

Pages installed on my test device, not holding my breath though. We have hundreds of machines waiting for iLife and iWork installs, not ready to start working on them yet.

mtward
New Contributor III

Still not working here in WI. I just tried Pages using device based VPP and got the same old error.

joe_giguere
New Contributor

Hey all.

Just got word from Apple Support that an update to iTunes went out recently and has fixed this issue. After testing, we are back up and rolling with VPP. Hopefully this fixes everything for you all, also.