What is the most common way to deploy Jamf Connect?

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

Hello I have a very dumb question. What is the most common way users deploy jamf connect in their org? we are doing it where we have config profiles and policies setup and we scope it to a users computer and through pre stage enrollment is that the common way to deploy jamf connect? Are there other ways to deploy Jamf Connect I saw you can download a config profile directly to the computer

13 REPLIES 13

AJPinto
Honored Contributor III

We have a few workflows.

• For all devices the configuration profiles install at enrollment in the prestage, and the profiles are scoped to all devices. 
  • Jamf Connect's package is in the prestage, and we updated it every quarter. Installs on every device at enrollment.
  • We maintain a policy for Jamf Connect that forces the client on devices missing it with a smart group.
    • We also have an on-demand policy so techs can uninstall and reinstall as needed.
    • This is also used to force updates.
  • We are starting to use Jamf's Mac Apps to maintain the updating of Jamf Connect.

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

May I see the policy and smart group for Jamf Connect that forces the client on devices missing it with a smart group.

jsommers
New Contributor III

You have several options, however ANY deployment of Jamf Connect will require configuration profiles to configure connect for your org. 

Option 1 (What we use): A script that will automatically download and install the newest version of Jamf Connect

Option 2: Use Jamf app installers to automatically deploy and update Jamf connect

Option 3: Use the Installomator Script to Install and Update Jamf Connect

Option 4: Upload the Jamf Connect Package to your distribution point, and deploy with a policy

Jack Sommers

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

I have a question. For option 1 we would like to do the same thing seems really useful to have jamf connect auto update and install the latest version. I clicked on the link and copied and pasted the code into code runner but I got errors. Any idea why?

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

JamfAdmin2_3-1705725058015.png

jsommers
New Contributor III

Try running it with Jamf

Jack Sommers

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

Do I need to create a poicy and add it as a script? 

jsommers
New Contributor III

Yes

Jack Sommers

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

Thank you and last dumb question, How would I know if it worked? How can I see if Jamf Connect was updated to the latest version? and If it auto updates can that break anything in Jamf connect? Will it effect the end users?

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

Ok so to make sure we are doing it where we have a prestage scoped to users computer and the policies in jamf pro and the config profiles are scoped to all computers now when the users reset your machine they are presented with the jamf connect login window is that method common? is it good way to deploy?

jsommers
New Contributor III

This will differ depending on how you deploy your devices. For us we have the Jamf Connect profiles scoped to a smart group. Then when a device gets enrolled it runs our custom built deployment script, which includes a trigger for our Jamf Connect Install policy. If your profiles are scoped properly and Jamf connect gets installed, it should be ready to use from there.

Jack Sommers

JamfAdmin2
New Contributor II

I see, So at the end of the day is it really just preference? the way we are doing it is that a normal way to deploy Jamf Connect?

jsommers
New Contributor III

Yes. With Jamf there is usually several correct ways to do something and it comes down to preference in the end.

Jack Sommers