Which macOS Systems in Fleet can TouchID?

OvativePaul
New Contributor II

Hey Everyone!

We are looking to send out documentation to our fleet on how to enable and use TouchID on their macOS system should they want to.

That being said, I am having a hard time determining which macOS systems in our fleet even support it. I am not looking for if it is enabled, disabled, or if fingerprints have been registered just trying to see if the touch sensor technology is even there on some systems in our fleet.

Can this be accomplished with an Extension Attribute? If so, can anyone point me in the right direction? I tried like every one of them suggested in this thread but not working on 14.5 Sonoma as an EA or linked to a Smart Group: https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/touchid-extension-attribute/m-p/170024

Looking to avoid painstakingly going through each model and looking it up, hah.

Thank You!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Depending on how your environment is positioned, no laptop that supports macOS 14 does not have TouchID. If all your devices are running the current version of macOS, it should be a pretty simple task of saying if "book" is in the device model name it supports TouchID.

Desktops dont have a TouchID sensor, though M1 and better desktops can use the Apple Keyboard with TouchID.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

jamf-42
Valued Contributor II

I don't have the regex to hand.. but a smart group with Model Identifier based on when Touch ID was introduced will provide that data, checkout the recent post for devices that support macOS 15 for a starting point.. 

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/macos-sequoia-hardware-compatibility-regex/m-p/318126#M276386

OvativePaul
New Contributor II

Thank You! I will see if I can get something to work!

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

Depending on how your environment is positioned, no laptop that supports macOS 14 does not have TouchID. If all your devices are running the current version of macOS, it should be a pretty simple task of saying if "book" is in the device model name it supports TouchID.

Desktops dont have a TouchID sensor, though M1 and better desktops can use the Apple Keyboard with TouchID.

OvativePaul
New Contributor II

What I was thinking, I was almost certain like all macs 2018 on Air or Pro on latest OS should have it/support it. Thanks AJ!

wakco
Contributor II

This is one of those times where people overthink the problem. Just add to the beginning of the documentation where to find the TouchID button on the keyboard (always top right hand corner), and if they don’t have that button they don’t have to do anything, then give the documentation to everyone with a Mac. This way there is no need to worry about trying to identify those Macs that might have the TouchID button on an external keyboard.