Why cant I assign packages and scripts to a site?

BCPeteo
Contributor II

I was surprised to see that you can not assign packages or scripts to a site. That means any one logged into JAMF has access to these. I would like to lock pkgs and scripts down to only departments that need them, like we do with iOS and Mac store apps.

3 REPLIES 3

imperatives
New Contributor III

I agree. Hopefully this will be addressed in a future update.

zanb
New Contributor III
I was surprised to see that you can not assign packages or scripts to a site. That means any one logged into JAMF has access to these.

That's the overall philosophy in how files are stored and shared through the JSS. Limiting logical access to files and scripts would require major edits in how files are stored and shared among the JSS as the JSS MySQL database would need hundreds to possibly hundreds of thousands of new table entries to delegate user access to Scripts and Packages.

I would like to lock pkgs and scripts down to only departments that need them

You can assign policies to sites ("departments") that need them.

Have you submitted a Feature Request with JAMF? I like the idea of granularly limiting access to packages and scripts to departments but I fear that such a feature may not be within the scope of JAMF's short-term goals.

vuho
New Contributor II

Hello,

Just wondering if this idea of limiting access to packages is possible yet. It would be great to keep our limited license applications away from certain sites within our instance. 

If anyone knows a way to mitigate this, please let me know.

Thanks