Wifi Configurations

PCAE2981
New Contributor II

Hello,

I wanted to bounce this by the community to see if others had this issue and how they got around it. I have a computer lab used by students, the Imacs are hard wired in for network, but I have found students are unplugging and hookng the wifi to their personal hot spot bypassing the webfilter on campus. I disabled Wifi, but now the instructor wants to use Air-Drop which requires Wifi. Is there a way to enable wifi but have it not connect to any SSID's or look for available SSIDs? From what I have read Air-drop just needs the wifi radio enabled for peer to peer, but doesnt need a network for it to work. Is there a setting in jamf? Thanks any help is appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

sshort
Valued Contributor

PCAE2981
New Contributor II

The link is for Lion, These are new machines, shows only supported 2008 and later. Will this work on newer imacs? High Sierra and above?

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

allanp81
Valued Contributor

There isn't a setting AFAIK but you could use a launch daemon to just check if the wireless has been connected to anything and just disconnect it. I did something similar as our devices were automatically connecting to an open access point that we have for guest access.

sshort
Valued Contributor

You could try this to enable AirDrop over ethernet: https://www.lifewire.com/airdrop-with-without-wifi-connection-2259801

sswartz
New Contributor III

does this answer your situation?
Jamf discussion

PCAE2981
New Contributor II

The link is for Lion, These are new machines, shows only supported 2008 and later. Will this work on newer imacs? High Sierra and above?