Willing to schedule a restart for my managed Ipads every week.

dvaturi
New Contributor

Hi guys,
i am willing to create a schedule task in order to restart my managed ipads every week.
is it possible?

6 REPLIES 6

Emmert
Valued Contributor

It looks like there's an API command called "RestartDevice", so you could use that in a script on one of your computers, and run the script on a weekly basis.

To my knowledge there aren't any built-in scheduling features.

ryan_ball
Valued Contributor

The above option would work to send a command to a group (or all) iPads. However, if you send the command out to a device that is locked or not connected to the network at that specific time, the device will restart immediately once it wakes and connects to the network. That could be right when a user picks the iPad up next to use it, which would not be ideal.

John_Wetter
Release Candidate Programs Tester

My first question has to be "why?" I understand the restarting every once in a while is just good, but that feels very heavy-handed IT-shop like to me to do scheduled restarts. I think the execution of it would be tough with not knowing necessarily when a device is going to get the command as that's the nature of APNS. So, even if possible, I think it'd be a tough execution. So, I'd circle back around to looking at why you're wanting to implement this kind of what I'd consider a fairly drastic step.

My elementary school students NEVER shut down or restart them.  Then, when we go to do state testing, there are problems ABOUND!  If I restart them before testing I have 0% issues.  That being said, I am a single-person shop with 1200 laptops, 650 iPads, 200 workstations, and 23 servers. I know, waaaa.   Automating means it will happen.  Relying on me to remember (if no one pings me) has a very low success rate.  There are lots of good reasons in education, but I think very few in the enterprise.

dvaturi
New Contributor

i have around 100 ipads around my office that are working 24/7 for the past year.
some of them are zoom controllers and others are event boards.
i would like to restart them once and a while in order to refresh them.
all of my ipads are managed and supervised, all of them are configured with 2 network interfaces (wifi and POE).
beside that they are all configured with single app mode.

ibrahimk
New Contributor II