Windows 10 Deployment using Winclone / Casper Imaging

obannonl
New Contributor

Just curious if anyone has been successful at deploying a Windows 10 Winclone image on a Mac running El Capitan using Casper Imaging

I have tried just about every method I know of and cant seem to get the Windows 10 image to boot after being deployed through Casper Imaging. This all works for our Yosemite / Win 7 configuration.

When I log into the Mac OS(El Capitan) I do see the Bootcamp partition and the windows files are all there and i am able to select the Bootcamp partition form startup disk, but the system reboots and I end up staring at a blinking cursor in the top corner.

7 REPLIES 7

Look
Valued Contributor III

Two things:
Windows 10 will likely want to boot from EFI.
SIP will play all kinds of havoc if it's enabled during Windows deployment (it will for starters protect the EFI partition from WinPE).

My guess is the BCD is not pointing to the right partition, it's probably correctable with SIP disabled, booted into WinPE off a USB stick using a BAT script to redo the BCD, there are a few examples of how they have to look around the net.

mblair
New Contributor III

I successful deployed it in my test work station. I was running into the same problem, because I was using Winclone 3.7 (This only works up to Yosemite.)

You have to create the .winclone from the new Winclone 5.5 that support both El Capitan and EFI for Windows 8 & Windows 10.

Plus the new iMac's, MacBook's and Mac Pro's will give issues with any old Winclone images. You have to put the image on a older iMac and recreate the image with the new Winclone 5.5 for it to work.

Apple Recommendation : https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204990

TwoCanoes : https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/204838719-Winclone-and-OS-X-10-11-El-Capitan
https://twocanoes.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/categories/200158478-Winclone

Hope this helps.

carmelolopez
Contributor

Hi,
Casper Imaging uses Winclone 5.5?

Or basically once I create a new image with Winclone 5.5 this will be (.winclone) able to deploy via Casper Imaging?

best
Carmelo

mblair
New Contributor III

I find it works on older iMac & MacBook. The new hardwares that comes with El Capitan pre-installed is giving issues to deploy on.

I'm still testing the new iMac (Late 2015) to find a work-around to deploy via Casper Imaging.

After more testing, the only reason deploying the image worked is that I used the BootCamp to Create the partition on the iMac before I image it. When the drive was erased, it did not work.

carmelolopez
Contributor

Hi,
I did a Winclone image of a working Windows 10 bootcamp partition, then enable make self extract for the image via winclone 5.5

But deployment of the image via Casper Imaging via Auto Run data does deploy but doesn't make the boot partition bootable (EFI issue)
Does anyone has a script to make this?
thanks
Carmelo

omatsei
New Contributor III

@carmelolopez I'm having the same problem.

The full story is I have a new iMac running El Capitan, and I used Boot Camp Assistant to create a partition and install Windows 10. I booted to it, installed the boot camp drivers, installed one piece of software, uninstalled a bunch of the stupid crap that Windows 10 insists on installing, ran sysprep, then rebooted into the Mac side. I ran Winclone 5.5 Pro, selected the Boot Camp partition, saved an image, made it self-extracting, and copied it into Casper. During the imaging process, it looks like it's doing something, but the boot camp partition formats as FAT instead of NTFS (despite NTFS being selected in the configuration), and no data exists on it.

Has anyone gotten Windows 10 deployed via Winclone and Casper, onto a Boot Camp partition? (When I put it like that, it sounds awfully niche...)

rfinan
New Contributor

We have late 2012 mac minis in our classrooms and conference rooms running Yosemite and Windows 7. All were originally imaged using winclone pro. Currently I'm trying to replace the old platter drives with solid state drives running Sierra and Windows 10. My initial attempts with winclone Pro5 imaging failed repeatedly for weeks. SIP was disabled and sysprep run on Windows 10 side. I was working with Winclone support but they kept asking me to send more logs and try different images from creating all new pkgs to restoring to an existing partition. Currently I'm working on a whole new build with a much simpler windows 10 bootcamp image but stuck in a loop of trying to run sysprep but it "requires elevation" or losing windows activation because I'm taking it off the network to get around the "required elevation."