Windows printer setup via spoolss

ooshnoo
Valued Contributor

We use a Windows print server and are successfully able to connect to it, add printers and ultimately print when setting up a printer manually on each mac. The printer is setup on the Mac using the "windows printer via spoolss" option when adding the printer. The URL is then smb://server.domain.com/PrinterShare. Everything works fine....A print job is successfully sent with no prompts for AD credentials at all.

I've configured the printer in JamfPro to use the same setup but when installed on Mac via self service, the print job stops and the printer is paused. When I retry, I am then prompted to authenticate with my AD username and password, and then the job goes through successfully. How can I properly setup a printer via spoolss in Jamf so that we are never prompted to authenticate with our AD credentials.

Anyone got any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Before going too crazy with Windows Server first check that the queue(s) you've added into Jamf are being kerberized on the Mac. Check out this thread and run the command @ljcacioppo provided on a test client and see what happens.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CSCC-JS
Contributor II

Been reading this may be related to the September 2021 Windows Update (on Windows Print Servers). 
Same people indicate rolling back or applying a reg fix could resolve the issue (on the windows side of things).

https://www.reddit.com/r/macsysadmin/comments/psoig3/printnightmare_update_broke_mac_printing/

rcorbin
Contributor II

I have another thread running about recent Microsoft Print Server Issues as well.  

https://community.jamf.com/t5/jamf-pro/mac-printing-issue-after-microsoft-windows-print-server-updat...

Interesting post in there from @craigo that might be of some help. 

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Before going too crazy with Windows Server first check that the queue(s) you've added into Jamf are being kerberized on the Mac. Check out this thread and run the command @ljcacioppo provided on a test client and see what happens.

thanks man.  that did it!