Wiping Ipad's

Bob_Villa
New Contributor

I found some iPad’s used in our department that are in Apple School Manager but in Jamf they are unmanaged but supervised.  I need to wipe them out so we can use them elsewhere, but they are locked with a pin # and the PIN I was given does not work.  If I reset them via DFU they will not reset, it will go through the process but never do anything, when it reboots it goes back to the lock screen.   

Is there anything I can do as far as wiping them or will I need to contact Apple? I read that Apple will not mess with devices that are in MDM, while the devices are supervised by our MDM they are not enrolled, will Apple consider that as enrolled?

4 REPLIES 4

statusBrew
New Contributor III

Can you prepare them using Apple Configurator?
I believe the only way to wipe if you don't have a working unlock pin is to wipe using AC2 - assuming that's what you've tried when you say "reset them via DFU"

I've occasionally had problems resetting in AC2, but think I've always got there with persistence.

Are you using the Erase all Content and Settings option, or the restore option?

Bob_Villa
New Contributor

Well I cannot even login to the device I am asked to input the four-digit code upon startup.  Connecting the device to a PC then opening iTunes will not allow me to access the device  until I unlock the ipad which I cannot do.  So I held the power and reset button down until I saw the iTunes symbol on the iPad.  Connected it to the PC with iTunes open choose to do a restore, it said it would wipe it, did its thing, the ipad rebooted and still stuck at the passcode screen.  I guess this one is locked by someone else's itunes account?  

This device was managed at one time, but someone ran the unenroll command on it and I guess let another student borrow it and they must have used their itunes account on it?

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

You're on the right track, but it sounds like the iPad did not in fact restore.

statusBrew
New Contributor III

Here to agree with jcarr - if it's gone back to the pin code to unlock, then it sounds like it didn't restore properly.

If it was activation lock, I would expect it to come up with a prompt during the setup to ask for the AppleID password, but this would only come up if it had wiped via a erase command, and was going back through Setup Assistant.

You could try using the Erase command through AC2, instead of a restore?