Yosemite Server... Messages... iOS app?

lifelike
New Contributor

For years this has annoyed me, but why doesn't the implementation of XMPP used by OS X Server work with iOS? Am I crazy or what? This seems like something that institutions would want. We use it for chat on Mac OS and Windows just fine. It would be great to have it working with iOS and Android too. Anyone doing this?

thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@lifelike, I've been using Beejive since it first came out for the iPhone with our iChat server and it has worked well. It was a little tricky to get the account setup correctly on the device, but once I figured out the settings it has worked well. I think I had to set the SSL option to TLS to get it to connect to our server. The biggest negative to the software at the time I got it was it cost $20.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

bvrooman
Valued Contributor

There are dozens of Jabber-compatible apps for iOS, and I would assume the same for Android. The two that come to mind are Beejive (I think it's a separate Jabber-compatible app) and IM+.

lifelike
New Contributor

Thanks bvrooman. Tried those and just never got them to work! been trying since the first fricken iPhone and every iteration since. Can not find any info on getting any client to work. Its very frustrating and I can't be the only fool on the planet trying to do this.

mpermann
Valued Contributor II

@lifelike, I've been using Beejive since it first came out for the iPhone with our iChat server and it has worked well. It was a little tricky to get the account setup correctly on the device, but once I figured out the settings it has worked well. I think I had to set the SSL option to TLS to get it to connect to our server. The biggest negative to the software at the time I got it was it cost $20.

lifelike
New Contributor

Thanks mpermann. I'll keep trying. At least I know that it CAN work.

htse
Contributor III

I remember working on this in early revisions of iOS. XMPP, being a traditional messaging protocol, isn't push-aware and requires a constantly open connection, which doesn't work well with how iOS handles memory for applications and network connections. You'd need somebody or something to hold-the-door-open so to speak, and a go-between for push awareness which is what services like beejive does.