iCloud restore on same supervised device in Jamf School

timmymaxi
New Contributor

Hi,

I just ran into a troublesome problem. At my school we have several hundreds of iPads. They are usually DEP-enrolled. They also use managed Apple IDs.

Now I had one case where a student deleted an app and the corresponding data. An iCloud backup was made before that, though. So thought it would be easy to just reset the iPad and then restore it from the iCloud backup (still to exactly the same device). But that, unfortunately, doesn't work.

The iPad does restore some things (like the basic apps), but afterwards it cannot connect to Jamf anymore and therefore doesn't get any of the supervised apps either. I have not yet found a way to make it communicate with Jamf again. 

Does anyone have any idea how to achieve that? The way it is right now would be a (negative) game changer for us as we have always kind of relied on the hope that the icloud backup with be sufficient. 

Thank you so much

6 REPLIES 6

Fluffy
Contributor III

How exactly did you restore the iPad from its iCloud backup?

BurroHen
New Contributor II

What happens when you restore it to a different iPad?  There can be problems with supervision and restoring an iCloud backup to the original device where the backup was taken.

timmymaxi
New Contributor

Thanks for your replies.

Here is what I did (or actually the student did). She made an iCloud backup and then just wiped the device. I assigned a dep-profile to that device allowing for the restoring process to be used. Upon entering the manages Apple ID the ipad did indeed restore the ipad, but not the apps as it cannot communicate with JAMF. 

restoring to a different iPad is, however, not really an option. After all, all of them are manages DEP-devices. Or would you say restoring to another DEP-managed device (where the backup was not made from) would help? 

"There can be problems with supervision and restoring an iCloud backup to the original device where the backup was taken." Yes, I guess that's what we are experiencing. 

Thanks

Your process sounds valid. We don't use Apple IDs, so this is not something I've tested or even considered. Although, the one thing I do know is that there is no way to enroll an iPad once it has been set up.

From Jamf side, is it visible that the device re-enrolled or is it still showing the last status before it was wiped?

BurroHen
New Contributor II

Yes, It may help to restore to a different DEP-managed device.   If it works, you can always backup again and then restore it to the original iPad. 

timmymaxi
New Contributor

Ok, restoring to a second device did indeed work. Is there any other way around this? Doing this in a school with some 300+ ipads is somewhat impractical to say the least. 

Thanks for all the help and the responses!!!