In Camera QR code scanner not working since iOS 14.2

FCervini
New Contributor II

Hi all

Since iOS 14.2 we have a problem with the in camera QR code scanner. The square shows up but the pop up with the link does not. Also the scanner is not available in settings>control centre so we cannot add it to the control centre as an icon.

I think both problems are related and I am pretty sure it has something to do with our Jamf School environment as I have no problems with my personal (Identical type) iPad. Unfortunately I can't find anything in the restricions and there does not seem to be an QR code build in application which needs to be added to the whitelist. Nonethless it seems blocked somehow.

Is there anybody who can shed some light on this issue?
Thanks much
Frederic

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Halbie
New Contributor

Working on iOS 15 on old conditions seems te be working again.

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22

richtcs
New Contributor

Same problem here - Frederic, did you find any solutions yet? The cameras on our iPads recognize the QR code (they show the border/frame around the image) but no action is taken to offer opening up Safari. I don't see anything in the profile restriction settings in Jamf.

mh-jena
Contributor

i have some iPads (5th gen) with iOS 14.2, on those i don't have this issue. i can add (control center) and access the qr scanner and get the scanner in the camera app directly with link direct. I know there are some issues related only to newer iPad generations.

FCervini
New Contributor II

I have no solution so far. Update to iOS 14.4 did not solve the problem. I am fairly convinced it is a combination of Jamf School and iOS 14.x.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@FCervini The only management setting that concerns the camera is whether to allow its use or not. Similarly the only management change(not setting) for control centre that affects it's state is if the device is in Shared iPad Mode. Aside from those two no other mdm configurations limit your use of the QR code scanner. I've tested it in our environment on iPads from 7th gen on down to Air 2's.

user-WardPoppe
New Contributor

Same problem here. The cameras on our iPads recognize the QR code (they show the border/frame around the image) but no action is taken to offer opening up Safari. I don't see anything in the profile restriction settings in Jamf.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@user-WardPoppe Have you been through your restrictions completely? Perhaps disable the profile(if one exists) on one device in the Managed Profiles tab and see if the functionality returns. I did a cursory look through and the only other one I can maybe see indirectly affecting this is if allow screen captures is disabled.

mh-jena
Contributor

today someone told me, that the problem raised on an iPad 8th gen with 14.4 but we also have in the same location other iPads with the same settings without this error.

FCervini
New Contributor II

Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate all the help I can get.
Just to give some more info: We manage 67 iPads over 3 different school sites. We have a mix of iPad mini 4th/5th gen and iPad 6th gen. The restrictions for all the iPads are the same and they all are applied trough the same profile. iPads are shared. There are no specific users set.
The restrictions profile allows:
- Use of the camera
- screen captures
- Safari

The iPads have their QR support in the camera turned on. While in camera mode, the square around a QR code shows up but the pop up to redirect to a page does not show.

What I have noticed so far:
- iOS devices prior to version 14 do not have the problem.
- In version 13.4.x or earlier, some iPads have the QR scanner control in the control centre list, others do not.. I can't find a reason yet why some of them have the option and others do not. (EDIT: This is due the Safelist Profile. See beneath)
- When I upgrade to version 14.4 the QR scanner dissapears from the control centre list (If it was visible in the first place) with one exception so far. One iPad mini 5th gen kept the control and after the update the QR code scanner still works. I am not sure what is different as they all share the same restrictions and DEP profile. I need to investigate this one more.
- Turning the QR-code scanner off and back on in the camera settings does not remedy the problem.
- Rebooting the iPad does not remedy the problem.
- Turning the QR scnanner off in the camera settings, then a reboot and turning it back on does not remedy the problem.
- I haven't tried a full reset yet. Probably need to try it if I can't find any other solution. (EDIT: Reset All Settings did not work).

FCervini
New Contributor II

Status update:
I think I am getting closer in solving this issue. The QR-code scanner is affected when using "Safelist and Blocklist" in a profile. As soon as I apply a Safelist profile, the QR-code scanner dissapears in the conctrol centre. The Safelist does not feature a QR-code scanner option so there is no way to turn it on.

I still need to test some more things but I wanted to share this information already.

Safelists are the bread and butter of managing apps which I use extensively. I really hope there is an option to keep the QR-code scanner active with Safelists. Does anyone have a suggestion to bypass this or do we need to ask Jamf to fix this for us?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@FCervini Have you tried the bundle ID: com.apple.barcodesupport.qrcode on your safelist?

EDIT: Never mind on that. Doesn't appear as though you can input bundle id's in the GUI. Time for a feature request to either add that support or for them to add that to the built in applications list even though it's not technically an app in itself. Speaking of which, have you safe-listed the camera app?

FCervini
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve Thanks for your reply. Where can I do that? I do not have a field where I can input text or an ID. I can only select categories and applications from a list.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@FCervini See my edit below that. I went into my instance of School and didn't see a bundle id input anywhere. Your only options are to try a profile on a test iPad that was created in Profile Creator. The better, less tinkering type of solution, if you can call it a solution, is to submit feedback or a support request to get the OR code scanner added to the built in apps list.

FCervini
New Contributor II

I have sent a support request trough my reseller today. I can't contact Jamf directly. Let's hope it does not take months to respond.

The Photo app is Safelisted.

EDIT: Still noticing some other odd behavior: I have iPads where the link pop up doesn't appear in the photo app (scan QR-codes is activated in the settings) even if the scanner is available in control centre (and works there). I have to figure out what the difference is.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@FCervini

I have sent a support request trough my reseller today. I can't contact Jamf directly. Let's hope it does not take months to respond.

Gotta love MSP's in this context. Great if you're a greenhorn, but I'm definitely not one yet I've been forced into MSP contracts(Thanks Ohio ITC laws!) and had to groan, moan and complain to get delegated admin to dashboards.

Make sure you're safe-listing the camera app as you stated you did the photos app. I'm sure it was a fat-fingered mistake, but just wanted to be sure you're aware of that.

FCervini
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve Yes, I meant the the camera app. Fat fingers indeed ;-)
Anyway, thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

I had a reply from the MSP. My initial mail was a bit brief and they want a full report before they send it to Jamf. I'll share more of my findings when I know more.

FCervini
New Contributor II

Update: I had contact with the developpers. There is no solution whitin Jamf School.
Since the QR code scanner is not really an app, Jamf can't activate it in the Safelists.
A third party scanner is the only option when using Safelists.

mks007
New Contributor II

Added just the profile alone does not work, the device also requires a restart
Steps:
Add com.apple.barcodesupport.qrcode to your allowed apps in restrictions profile.
Needs a reboot to take effect.

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@mks007 Unfortunately Jamf School doesn't allow entry of a bundle id. One can only check the boxes for built in and App Store apps to add them to a list.

mks007
New Contributor II

@mainelysteve any chance you can upload a signed profile?

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

@mks007 There is. @FCervini If you have a test device to to try this on I would download Profile Creator and give that a shot.

Halbie
New Contributor

Working on iOS 15 on old conditions seems te be working again.

FCervini
New Contributor II

I have checked it too and it does indeed work again as it supposed to. Upgrading to iOS 15 is the solution.

Thanks for checking this Halbie.