Jamf School App Installers for MacOS: how to install on-demand apps?

alexandern
New Contributor II

We are used to deploying apps by choosing an app in the App Inventory, assigning a scope and picking some options. One of the options is on-demand installation, as opposed to automatic installation. On-demand installations allow a user to choose an app from 'My resources' in the Jamf Teacher or Jamf Student app on an iPad or on a Mac. So far, so good.

Recently, Jamf School added the extra option of 'App Installers' to install apps on macOS. Here also, you can choose between on-demand and automatic installation. Choosing the latter, the app installs correctly and as expected. Choosing the former: where can a user find the list of installable apps?

5 REPLIES 5

jcarr
Release Candidate Programs Tester

Have you installed the Jamf School Self Service app?

alexandern
New Contributor II

Yes, we do, but that only works for apps in the inventory; not for App Installers.

jcarr

Interesting.  That definitely sounds like a bug.

jcarr

I have verified this.  This could be an oversight, or perhaps they only support auto install currently.  This was the case with the App Catalog on Jamf Pro at first.  Self Service support came later.

This KB could be a little more clear however.  It does say to "select the device group you want to scope the app to" but does not stay to optionally set the install to "on demand" (auto-install is default).  Following these steps does result in the "app is installed on each device in the group the next time the device checks in."  It should probably be updated to say that on-demand installs are not currently supported.

vegard
New Contributor II

I created a support case regarding this issue a while back. The last reply (23.10) was:

"Currently On-Demand installations are having some issues indeed. Our team will be working on this.
Once this will be fixed, this will be noted in the Release Notes.".

So I guess we'll just have to wait.