Macbook appeared as iOS device and fails to enroll.

sapodas
New Contributor

Hi,

I'm using Jamf School and ran into the following problem:

Upon installing macOs (Macbook Pro M1), I am receiving an error:

Enrolling with management server failed
Unexpected error
MDMResponseStatus: 401

sapodas_1-1652819591145.png

I have tried to move device to trash or unmanage it, but nothing works. If I wipe macbook and try again - problem happens again.

This is how the macbook shows in Jamf School:

sapodas_0-1652819501756.png

Anyone can help?

11 REPLIES 11

Fluffy
Contributor III

I believe you can ignore how it shows up in Jamf School. If you catch it early enough, devices getting added will always look funny with things like broken icon image, incorrect models, etc.

As for the error, see Apple's documentation here:

An HTTP 401 Unauthorized error indicates one of the following:

• Invalid consumer key

• Invalid or expired token

• Invalid signature

• Invalid or already-used nonce

We have had this error before from devices sitting too long, resulting in expired tokens. Wiping the device corrected it, so you should be able to rule out expired tokens.

I'm not an expert in this by any means, so hopefully this at least helped point you in the right direction.

sapodas
New Contributor

Thanks. But I have tried to wipe device multiple times, including just before posting the message and it still produces the same thing...

nzavagli
New Contributor II

I had a similar issue when we were merging with another company and working with their MDM. I had to wipe the device 3-4 times before it finally worked. I talked to their support and didn't believe them when they told me to keep wiping it, but it eventually worked as frustrating as it was.

Unbelievable! I will try to wipe it more and non-stop and will see how it goes.... Thanks for the answer! Absolutely outrageous though!

sapodas
New Contributor

Wiped device about 8 times yesterday and still nothing... 

Fluffy
Contributor III

It may be more worthwhile opening a case with Jamf support for this issue. Sadly, the Jamf School threads don't have as much of the experts/experience that Jamf Pro has.

You'll want to try to gather information to help support narrow down what could be the cause. Things like what you've shared here, as well as things like:

• Is this the only device that has this issue? If so, is it only Macs or iPads as well?
  • Does it do the same thing using a different network (like a mobile hotspot)?
  • Has this device been enrolled before?

sapodas
New Contributor

- only device from the whole "fleet" - other iMacs, Macbooks and iPads all work fine
- tried multiple wired networks via ethernet <> usb-c adapters, tried different wifi networks and have just tried mobile hotspot - same issue everywhere
- this device hasn't been enrolled before. although it was used before without Jamf and without being added to Apple School Manager (reseller forgot to add it to the system), then it was wiped and then I have tried to onboard it to Jamf

nzavagli
New Contributor II

I know that with Monterey and the Apple Configurator app for iPhone you can now add Macs to Apple Business Manager that weren’t added at point of sale, not sure if this is similar or helpful for your situation with Apple School Manager.

have just tried that too - was able to add the device to School Manager (although it was already added) and then after a restart, when it tried to connect to Jamf - the same thing happened again...

dmichels
Contributor II

I did a few things to resolve this issue: 

• delete the Computer Record
  • Created a new PreStage and made sure there were no Certificate settings with Anchor Certificates
  • then on the Macbook Pro, I had to go to Disk Utility and erase the drive, and reinstall the macOS, not once but twice. (just restarted the MacBook Pro setup did not resolve the issue, had to wipe the Macintosh HD)

then it went through 

mik3li
New Contributor

I was able to fix this with no computer wipe. Here are the steps I followed with Jamf Support:

1. Confirm the device is in our Apple Business/School Manager and assigned to our Jamf Server
  2. Navigate to the Prestage Enrollment section within Jamf
    • Click on the Prestage Enviornment (we only have one)
  3. Find the computer by serial number > Noted that it was not checked as assigned. 
  4. Checked the box next to the computer. 
  5. Had the client restart the computer and try again.