macOS updates / Allow users to defer

lfong
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to update all our Macs and establish a sustainable maintenance plan. Ideally, I'd like to leverage the ScheduleOSUpdate command with the InstallLater option.

My questions are:

• Can these Apple commands be used within a configuration profile deployed via Jamf School? I'm struggling to find specific examples or guidelines for this approach.
  • Are these commands strictly for Mass Action Commands, as suggested in Jamf Pro's technical paper on macOS updates (https://www.jamf.com/resources/technical-papers/deploying-macos-upgrades-with-jamf-pro/) and therefore not applicable in Jamf School?
  • Has anyone used S.U.P.E.R.M.A.N. or anything similar in conjunction with Jamf School? Every single guide or example I can find is for Jamf Pro...

If anyone has experience using ScheduleOSUpdate or has alternative suggestions for managing macOS updates in Jamf School, I'd love to hear them!

3 REPLIES 3

AJPinto
Honored Contributor II

I do not use Jamf School, but as far as I am aware the only way to issue OS updates is with MDM commands. Configuration Profiles just set the requirements for OS updates (i.e. how long until the mac sees the update after release and such). As of this point Jamf has made no "policy" method to automate pushing the OS update command, you must manually send it each time. However, users can be offered the option to defer. 

I have not used superman, but to my understanding you need to push the install macos.app and then run the erase all contents script with a flag to not erase all contents. This method provides no warning for the user once the script starts, the device will just reboot when its ready.

We exclusively use MDM/DMM commands to issue OS updates. The OS update workflow is painful due to Apples poor design, and Jamf refusing to offer any automation in issuing the command, but it is what it is. We also have a Jamf Helper policy run daily on devices. IF the device has pending updates, it will notify the user and guide them through installing. IF they have no updates, it just exits. We empower our end users to install OS updates when possible, and enforce them a week or so after release. We usually see around 75-80% patching compliance just from end user interaction with all the notifications we give people and are usually over 90% by the end of two weeks (we force the update the 2nd week).

obi-k
Valued Contributor II

Give DDM updates a shot. Not sure how you'd go about that with Jamf School. You'll be able to schedule an update and the Macs will see notification messages. Your Macs would need to be on macOS 14 and up and Supervised.DDMDDM

You could also use the deferral option below it.

Lasse
Contributor

Your link goes to Jamf Pro docs, here is the Jamf School equivalent: https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-school-documentation/page/macOS_Updates.html

Moving forward, for your sustainable maintenance plan I would look into Declarative Device Management (DDM); https://learn.jamf.com/en-US/bundle/jamf-school-documentation/page/Declarative_Device_Management.htm...