Our configured school iPads keep forgetting the wifi password after connecting to another network

KateB
New Contributor

This is such an annoying issue for us at the moment because our school Wifi password is secure and should not be given out, but whenever students take their iPads home and connects to their home wifi, the password is somehow forgotten. The iPads are iPad 8th Generation with iOS 15.3. Our configuration profile has MAC Randomisation off and I don’t know if this is a contributing factor. 

Does anyone know what could be the issue?

5 REPLIES 5

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

MAC address randomization should only affect those using captive portals, or some form of device based radius.

Couple things could be going on here. One, you have a time filter applied to this profile and the times are off. Two, the wifi payload is not correctly configured i.e. if your network is using a wpa2 password and you selected Automatic, WPA3 or WPA / WPA2 instead of just WPA 2 in the profile. One thing other thing to be aware of is that its possible students are tapping on reset network settings which I've seen zero out the password and since the profile is still installed and hasn't changed, it won't reapply. 

Perhaps it's best to have someone trustworthy like yourself or a colleague to take a student configured iPad home, connect it to their wifi network and return the next day and see what occurs. If nothing does once or twice in a row then you have some or a lot of students with an "idle hands" problem.

el_bets
New Contributor II

What Do you mean by Time filter applied to the WIFI profile.

el_bets
New Contributor II

Have you made any discoveries on this issue? We have something related to this but everything on our profile looks ok. 

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Jamf School allows you to apply or remove profiles based on a time filter.

https://docs.jamf.com/jamf-school/documentation/Device_Profiles.html

thanks