Preinstalled apps requiring Apple ID

peterwilson
New Contributor

Hi everyone,

I couldn't find a solution to this in any discussions, my apologies if it has already been covered.

When we setup a new iPad (model A1893), the preinstalled apps like GarageBand, iMovie, Pages & Keynote require the user to enter an Apple ID.

Having the apps behave like this causes mayhem in music classes, we resolve the issue by pushing the apps from Jamf to each device, but with the amount of iPads we have this is not a great solution, by then the lesson has already been disrupted.

Does anyone know how to;

1. Force the preinstalled apps to be managed? or
  2. Prevent them being installed in the first place so they then pick up the apps from Jamf?

Any thoughts appreciated - Thanks

6 REPLIES 6

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

In Jamf School if a pre-installed app is in Jamf School as a VPP app then it will become automatically managed, but... only if it's an automatic install. If it's an on-demand install the management of the preinstalled app won't take place until a student tap's Get in the Student app.

If you'd rather them not exist on the device from the get go then you'll need use Apple Configurator 2 or Finder to do an OS restore.

I'd go for solution one with some user education sprinkled.

peterwilson
New Contributor

Thanks for the reply.

All the apps our students use are VPP, device assigned and set to automatic installation. Are there any other settings in Jamf to make this work?

peterwilson
New Contributor

6f9f05463c0947908c5732af6dc77811

mainelysteve
Valued Contributor II

Check a device that is showing the symptoms you're experiencing and see what the Managed Apps status is for one of the apps? Failed, Assigned, Waiting for VPP licenses, etc.

jbisgett
Contributor II

There was an Apple bug with that model and iOS 12-12.3 that prevented the pre-installed apps from being managed by an MDM. We had this issue and it was a huge pain. The only viable solution was to manually delete the pre-installed apps and let them reinstall from Jamf. Updating iOS didn’t fix the issue because the issue was with the apps themselves. iPads that shipped with iOS 12.4 or later weren’t affected because they had fixed the apps.

TomBrandt
New Contributor II

Same problems here awhile ago with iMovie and GarageBand. I agree with jbisgett, simply delete them through jamf and reinstall. Quick and easy.